HELP- DQ08 RK3528 4Go RAM 64go SSD can't boot with multitool (with photos)

Valentin C

• Valentin C changed the title to HELP- DQ08 RK3528 4Go RAM 64go SSD can't boot with multitool (with photos)

Well, rk3528 are a new thing around; multitool is half-working so far. It is enough to grab a backup in my case.

During my tests and experimentations, I found I was unable to boot from sdcard if the eMMC was completely erased. I would like to understand what is wrong here and why this boot issue is happening, since all other rockchip socs I know do boot from sdcard when the eMMC is empty. This is quite essential for multitool, since it should be a maintenance tool and if it does not boot in maskrom mode it loses half the uses. Anyway in my case it boots fine when the original firmware is installed.

At the moment my experiments go really slow because I'm busy with other things, but I managed to bring up am working rk3528-box config for armbian scripts that produces a working image. It can be found in my personal github repo.

Since rockchip dropped their proprietary miniloader in favor of their proprietary (but open) u-boot, the armbian image should boot fine from sdcard without erasing the internal flash memory first. I don't know if I will keep this behaviour, but for now it is so.

edit: ah, photos are very welcome, but perhaps logs from the serial, original firmware and the original dtb are indeed very useful in this discovery phase.

edit 2: I'm just realizing I never published a working multitool image for rk3528, which one are you using? Did you built one yourself? By the way, here is a build for rk3528 soc, but your mileage may vary a lot: https://users.armbian.com/jock/rk3528/multitool/multitool.img.xz

@jock - that not booting with a clean emmc reminds me a bit on the rk3328 box i have which has the sd card connected to the wrong mmc port and thus cannot boot from sd card - it works with a workaround to install some special u-boot in emmc which then boots from sd card via extlinux.conf or boot.scr ... can it be that those rk3528 boxes are similar?

24 minutes ago, hexdump said:

@jock - that not booting with a clean emmc reminds me a bit on the rk3328 box i have which has the sd card connected to the wrong mmc port and thus cannot boot from sd card - it works with a workaround to install some special u-boot in emmc which then boots from sd card via extlinux.conf or boot.scr ... can it be that those rk3528 boxes are similar?

It could indeed be, looking at the rk3528 device trees, it has 4 mmc controllers as like as rk3328.

Looking in the vendor kernel 5.10, I can guess that the "right" mmc controller for the sdcard is the 4th (mmc@ffc30000), and this matches my board device tree; nonetheless the board refuses to boot from sdcard when internal flash is empty.

@jins what board do you have? It should be sufficient to connect an USB male-to-male cable and flash a backup (or the mere bootloader, if you have it or are able to craft it) with rkdeveloptool or rkflashtool and then it should be able to boot again from sdcard.

What board do you have?

@jock I tried again with lsusb and the curdent. I thought it might be the cable. I tried the same technique with my other dq08 box (exactly the same one which is not brick), it recognized it. So the cable's fine, my tricks are good. The box doesn't even want to be recognized.

6 minutes ago, jins said:

The box doesn't even want to be recognized.

Using the Rockchip Create Upgrade Disk Tool Version 1.7, write the vontar r3 RGB firmware to  SD card, insert the card into the TV box and connect USB to USB to the PC and then the TV box will determine the system.

1. write the firmware to an SD memory card with the sdboot parameter, using Rockchip Create Upgrade Disk Tool version 1.7

2. insert the SD card into the console

3. hold down the reset button and connect USB cable

4. flash via USB male-male cable

5. hold the reset button until boot recording starts

Edited by Drawn

3 hours ago, Drawn said:

1. write the firmware to an SD memory card with the sdboot parameter, using Rockchip Create Upgrade Disk Tool version 1.7

2. insert the SD card into the console

3. hold down the reset button and connect power

4. flash via USB male-male cable

5. hold the reset button until boot recording st

arts

I had already tried