Lightdm fail on pi 5

Gullik

Hello,

I have just installed the Armbian_23.11.0-trunk.114_Orangepi5_jammy_edge_6.6.0-rc1_xfce_desktop.img

It boots OK, but does not present any desktop, but I can ssh into it and configure

In syslog I find lots of errors where lightdm fails due to:

Sep 20 16:10:15 orangepi5 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 4.
Sep 20 16:10:15 orangepi5 lightdm[2103]: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Accounts was not provided by any .service files
Sep 20 16:10:16 orangepi5 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Sep 20 16:10:16 orangepi5 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 20 16:10:16 orangepi5 systemd[1]: lightdm.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.

I recon this might be the cause, but have never spent any time on how the desktop gets activated and its components.

Is this the reason I get no video/HDMI on my PI 5 (that works ok with kernel 5.10)

And, is it trying to retrieve a user list from freedesktop.org?? Why??

G

A litle too quick perhaps....

Further investigation into lightdm log files results i erros when launching X

root@orangepi5:~# more /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep open
[ 17291.932] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[ 17291.933] (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
[ 17291.933] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[ 17291.933] (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
[ 17291.934] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[ 17291.934] (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
[ 17291.934] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
[ 17291.934] (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
root@orangepi5:~#

and, there is no /dev/dri/*

So I guess the error reported above was not fatal, (as seen in log) but the cause was x could not be started because no device ( HDMI perhaps??)

G

I have tried to investigate how to get graphics on the PI5 with a recent kernel. It seems that there is a different approach  forward and other components suggested.

I have not had to dig inte the graphics arch of linux before, but my understanding is it has many layers, the display manager, x-windows, the frame buffer, fb driver

plus the various scripts / programs that assemble the graphic subsystem when booting.

Besides, there is a simple terminal emulation being used as console displaying text and supplying a glass tty.

Exactly where this is heading and who / which group is responsible is not clear to me,  I might be able to assist in testing or other tasks.

To me it seems all was done for the old 5.x kernel, and for some reason it is not as easy as updating with latest patches / findings and recompile,

which leads me to the conclusion of "rearchitecture".

Gullik