Problem with USB port on Pinebook pro

pinebookpro-owner

Hello all,

I got a problem after new update of armbian firmware through your own module (script). The left USB port on pinebook pro has  stoped working at all. Before that was occasionaly after 6 -7 boot ups only one time not working  (it is used for mouse). Now after x rebooting it doesnt work at all. The right USB port works without problems. On the left, also USB flash drive doesn't work. No idea, what could it be? Before, as already said, it has worked in 90%. Before firmware upgrade.

Edited by pinebookpro-owner

Thank you for a friendly suggestion and patience. I am not often on forums. The report was, namely, already ready. It could be suggested command armbianmonitor -u,  but from armbian script.

The link is below:

https://paste.armbian.com/zetukadivi

PS: On the left (problematic) USB port the mouse has red light but it is not responsive. The usb flash memory stick does not have led on (it is older flash drive with 4GB, but led is very good for indication) It just briefly flashes and nothing after that.

The report is with mouse on the another (right) usb port. The command lsusb does not list the mouse when is plugged in left usb port.

I have just uploaded report where the mouse is plugged in the problemtic (left) port.

https://paste.armbian.com/hewelunure

Edited by pinebookpro-owner

It looks like it sees the mouse based on the logs:

[    3.317302] usb 2-1.1: new low-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-platform
[    3.433323] usb 2-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=1c4f, idProduct=0034, bcdDevice= 1.10
[    3.433367] usb 2-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[    3.433385] usb 2-1.1: Product: Usb Mouse
[    3.433399] usb 2-1.1: Manufacturer: SIGMACHIP
[    3.439302] input: SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse as /devices/platform/fe3c0000.usb/usb2/2-1/2-1.1/2-1.1:1.0/0003:1C4F:0034.0001/input/input2
[    3.440561] hid-generic 0003:1C4F:0034.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse] on usb-fe3c0000.usb-1.1/input0

Can you share the command(s) that you used for the firmware update? Or was this just the armbian-firmware package getting an update?

Just for any case I've pasted both reports. First link is with mouse on the right slot, and the second link is the mouse in the left slot. I don't know if this command crops also some logs before. While before I have plugged also an usb stick in left usb port.

In both cases I called this report from menu from armbian-config.

Firmware update was ordinary from menu in armbian-config. Right after that left usb port became unresponsive.

I have just recalled right now, It is good to mention also this:  Relativly long ago, I have misplugged power in the audio jack which is on the right side, since then, the sound on earphones is always with regular soundspeakers. The sound could not be only in earphones. But I didn't see any problems. 

Before the latest firmware update, the left usb port has worked circa in 90% of boot ups, only in 10 % it was unresponsive after boot up.

And one more update regarding last mentioned.

I have measured the voltage and current on mouse and usb memory stick plugged in.

The results:

Mouse: The Voltage is same in both cases : 5,10 V

On the left side it draws the 8mA and on the right 9mA

USB memory stick:

On the left side draws 44mA and on the right 65mA

and the last I've found was this thread on pine64 forum:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8243

Thanks for the output @pinebookpro-owner I do see the issue on my system as well but I don't think it was the `armbian-firmware` package as I downgraded it and still have the issue plus it's not the EDGE kernel since I can see it on the LTS default kernel. Do you see any messages in `dmesg -W` as you plug the drive/mouse in? Does the USB-C port on that side work as well?

Sorry for the delayed replays. I will see the dmesg little later. To prove the USB C I could only if I find the adapter for the flash memory. Update follows soon.

So, the output of dmesg -W is only for the right usb port. On the left is without response.

$ dmesg -W 
[  302.500236] usb 1-1.1: new low-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-platform
[  302.613848] usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=1c4f, idProduct=0034, bcdDevice= 1.10
[  302.613903] usb 1-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[  302.613929] usb 1-1.1: Product: Usb Mouse
[  302.613950] usb 1-1.1: Manufacturer: SIGMACHIP
[  302.620814] input: SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse as /devices/platform/fe3c0000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/1-1.1:1.0/0003:1C4F:0034.0004/input/input15
[  302.622397] hid-generic 0003:1C4F:0034.0004: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse] on usb-fe3c0000.usb-1.1/input0
[  313.263352] usb 1-1.1: USB disconnect, device number 5

Unfortunately, I am not able to test the usb c port.

Regarding armbian-config. I also could not claim anything, but after the update it has stopped working. If it is corelated with armbian-config and update, once again I do not claim that. This problem is as seen known and it could be anything.

UPDATE:

In meantime usb port type c checked. Flash memory works via adapter.

Mouse also works.

Could you tell me, I ask as layman, are you sure this is not hardware issue. I am aware if is it software issue that also could be not less difficult, but could you tell if is it solvable in a month for instance?

PROBLEM SOLVED on 30.11.2023 with the latest update of kernel. Thanks to the armbian team!