Dual boot Linux ARM on RK3318 CPU Android TV box

Nurburg93

Hi everyone, I would like to ask if it is possible to dual boot Linux on an Android TV Box without removing Android?

I would like to start an ARM-type Linux distribution on this device specific for this kind of low-power devices;

My model is:

Bqeel R2 Plus

CPU: RK3318 quad core

RAM: 4GB

64GB ROM

I should use a fast micro SD card to run the operating system on;

Posted (edited)

Hello @maka happy new year !

i have really zero experience with that so i don't know what is it  in this case the "multitool" ? can you guide me to try ?

in this case i could boot armbian from the microsd without  compromising the future possibility of starting the TV box with Android that is installed on the internal memory ?

i'm used to install Linux systems on pc but never did something like that on a TV box with ARM processor.

Edited by Nurburg93

If you can't loose your box don't try anything. There is a real chance to brick the box when you are not used to this kind of tinkering. 

Your goal is posible as I have 4 boxes doing that but the task is not easy and everything is not going to work (wifi, ethernet, bluetooth maybe never work).

Posted (edited)

@maka i would like to try, of course i should receive help from you because i don't know from where to start.

but if i'm able to install the OS on the micro Sd card i shouldn't compromise the Android currently on the box right ?

what i should do to start ? guide me step by step please...If I had to delete the current version of Android, is it possible to install a totally stock version of Android?

Edited by Nurburg93

So you agree to take the risk and anything that happens will be your responsibility.

You don't have to delete android and should be working without knowing what you are doing. However it's possible to burn the box because of wrong configuration. I have an rk3328 box that can not run android anymore because of hot weather and wrong seller configuration but runs happily linux with the right one.

The first step is to burn multitool in sdcard with balena-etcher. This utility can wipe your android box, so be careful.

You can find it in  Installation (via SD card):

This way we can know if your box can boot from sd card. Insert the card in the box and power on. You can make a backup of your box there but be careful !!!

Don't do anything more.

Edited by maka