x96q h313

Blaize

So i have a x96q with a h313 coming soon.

I got it from https://www.temu.com/goods.html?_bg_fs=1&goods_id=601099525915611

the specs are
CPU: Allwinner H313 Quad Core ARM Cortex A53
GPU: G31 OPenGL3.2
RAM: 1GB/2GB
ROM: 8GB/16GB
Wi-Fi version: 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n
Resolution standard: 4K

How would I go about installing this.

I read that bigtreetech-cb1 works, but no wifi. Is this the best option?

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

ATTENTION there is a counterfeit version of the X96Q TV box. Before sending it back I took a photo of the PCB. We are talking about SOC RK3229 and eMCP 1GB RAM/8GB ROM. By chance I wanted to try booting with the multitool and I understood the deception. the only linux release working on X96Q is the Miniarch project but let's go off topic

fake_x96q.jpg

The most absurd thing is that it says S905W on it and it's actually an RK3229. I think they have the same RK3229 1GB/8GB PCB that they wanted to pass off as S905W and now they try to make the fake X96Q with that PCB too

Hi guys, so actually I am the one who knows quite a lot about X96Q :p :

1. As Khadas said: there are counterfeits based on rk 3228A with a S905W (in fact "S" is not an actual "S") mark on the chip. It's performance is really poor, its 32bit CPU and its not worth working with

2. Market is full of other-kind-of-fake fake boxes - 1g RAM 8g ROM versions are being sold under 2g 16g tag, with very little tools for an average user to prove it's not an actual 2g16g version.

3. There are many different revisions of X96Q boards, with different types of RAM, differenct clock settings and its really hard to just get the image of an OS. Up to my knowledge, there is no other working OS than the one made by github user named warpme. Its an Arch Linux distro and its quite decent. It has some drawback though, and I am in constant touch with an author, working on some commercial solution that utilizes these boxes.  In the version available on github, there is no LAN support, eMMC installation and an AP  mode. Besides that, it works just fine 

Here You may try to find a release suitable for You:  https://github.com/warpme/miniarch  Please note, that 

Hi thanks @Jakub Adamik for your message.

I confirm that the current X96Q with pcb release 1.3 does not have working ethernet with the miniarch image.

I wrote two emails to Piotr aka warpme but I haven't received a response yet, surely in this period he will be very busy with work and I won't be able to dedicate time to the miniarch project. I await a response from him.

Since last week the official image for x96q 1.3 (and also for pcb 5.1) has been available.

Unfortunately, the hardware of the x96q TV box suffers from the classic problems of Chinese TV boxes, that is, there are many fakes around, i.e. PCBs with other hardware (even a different processor) and continuous revisions of the board based on what the manufacturer finds cheapest.

I remember that the Miniarch project is not linked to the armbian project and with this post I would like to close this thread so as not to go off topic. It is possible to open issues on github of our friend Piotr who develops the project alone.

I had never seen the PCB in version 4.0 thanks for sharing the photo.

From that working image if you do the updates will you have an equally fresh and updated system or do you have problems after the updates?

You should open an issue on the miniarch project's github and understand if the author has this specific hardware but I don't think otherwise you would have found it in the list of images, I see four different ones for h96q.

Ihave PCB version 1.3

Hello everyone I have a X96 clone named Z1 with 2 GB Ram and 16 GB Rom that I was able to boot and install

MiniArch with the image ( MiniArch-20240715-6.10.0-board-h313.x96_q_lpddr3-SD-Image.img ) this work Correctly with the box.

I went further and investigate the possibility to install Armbian  and I confirm that I was able to Install Armbian (with some hacks) 

I have used the bellow image Armbian_community_24.8.0-trunk.495_Orangepi3_noble_current_6.6.36_gnome_desktop.img.xz

Screenshot.jpg.aae4419ed306f44b693691e02a3dc43b.jpg

The box works nice but with 3  issues

1> HDMI image is broken on console and I have a  green image with pixels

2> No Ethernet Adapter Recognized and i used a USB to Ethernet adapter.

3> No CPU temp

Screenshot2.thumb.jpg.c92b5e184cabca4ef707e612f67f3707.jpg

Screenshot3.thumb.jpg.eef866e37e298dac906ec3ae3daa5b66.jpg

Continue ..

An other issue  With Z1 Tv Box  is that i tried to install  the image to eMMC via armbian-install. Installation succeeds but after system was not able to boot directly from eMMC. With  MiniArch-20240715-6.10.0-board-h313.x96_q_lpddr3-SD-Image.img eMMC boot is without problems.

This probably  has to do with U-boot because Miniarch uses extlinux to boot in a seperate fat partition .... I will try to manual partition the eMMC to see if this is resolved.

At this time The Box Operates with SD card with Armbian_community_24.8.0-trunk.495_Orangepi3_noble_current_6.6.36_gnome_desktop.img with ssh, apache, php, mariadb and firebird3  server installed

ALL works OK and stable (and relatively fast)  except the HDMI on console, Cpu Temp, and onboard Ethernet.

the Ethernet issue also exist in miniarch but with miniarch i had no HDMI issue. I suspect the panfrost driver in combination with the box DTB (sun50i-h313-x96-q-lpddr3.dtb) ..

I will investigate it further.

This my progress for now.

Edited by rafman

@rafman I try install miniarch or armbian to my device X96q based on h313 and memory chip samsung KMR82001M-B609.  I recorded the image on an SD card, inserted it into the device, pressed the button in the AV input and turned on the power. The X96q splash screen appeared, quickly disappeared and nothing else happens. If i dont press the button, box start with android. How can i start from sd card? 

@svsruof

you may have hardware incompatibilities, I will try to help you.

TV boxes is a pain story and you never know what you really have except if you investigate further your hardware.

You can try different miniarch images variants regarding your board (x96q) until one is booting, there are 5 different images for 5 different board variations of x96q (e.g lpddr3, v1.3, v5.1 ...) I don't know your hardware but keep in mind

that there are also FAKE boards with rk3228a or Rk3229 as x96q variants you have to investigate your Hardware first, rk322x boards are fake boards marked as H313 (on chip) and these are not compatible with Allwinner images (but you can still install Linux with other images for rk322x)

One safe method to verify  if you have Allwinner board is to set it to FEL mode (by pressing the internal button with a toothpick) connect a male to male USB and then read your USB devices with lsusb command.

you can find more information here : https://linux-sunxi.org/FEL

Another problem that you may face is locked u-boot loader and/or device secure boot enabled by the manufacturer in this case you need to analyze the original manufacturer firmware (if available) to see the unlock possibilities or to try

to unlock it via adb (if possible). Serial debugging is a must.

Unfortunately i can't post miniarch images links  here due to forum rules. however is very  easy to find it.

If you are able to boot a miniarch image or a LibreElec image then is easy to install Armbian as well with some modifications on extlinux.conf

Tip: place a detailed image of both sides of your board. Someone may have the same and may guide you regarding your problems