Trying to use OPI5plus as NAS with nvme-to-sata adapter for storage.

QuaxEros
Go to solution Solved by Marco Schirrmeister,

Hi gals & guys,

Came over to this forum from the OPI forums which seem.. rather low on real-user activity. I am quite new to the SBC Arm64 platform and have many questions. I am an experienced sysadmin on x86/amd64 and still figuring out the differences.

I bought a Orange Pi 5 Plus 32G of RAM and i am running of the 256G emmc. I am able to run different OS's (OPI-Ubuntu, OPI-debian, plain Ubuntu and Armbian). As i intend to use the board as server i didn't look into Android and the like..

My plan is running (OMV) from the emmc and attaching ZFS storage by means of a nvme-to-sata adapter and providing iscsi storage from there to my home-lab with my VM's and containers + shared storage and backup. Teamed NIC's for the network, for later.

With that out of the way, here is my question...

My OPI5plus is running fine from emmc and i am able to handle most normal issues. My main problem is that i cannot get my storage or even my nvme-to-sata adapter detected. I don't really know how to go about it and how to use overlays to configure my system. Beside the fact that the OPI5plus has no native sata and only 1 sata2 overlay, i have a basic lack of understanding of the overlay concept, i guess.

I've seen very little information online on "OPI5plus NAS/SATA" and was wondering if someone here could help me out ?

Config:

Armbian_Bookworm_legacy 5.10.160 on Emmc

rkspi_loader.img flashed, else no boot.

Tried:

rkspi_loader_sata.img for OPI5pro, but then no boot

overlay rk3588_sata2, but then no NIC's

My nvme-to-sata adapter is an M.2 nvme pcie3  to 6 port sata3.0 with ASM1166 chipset.

At boot time the leds on it flicker, then go out.

In lspci there is no mention of it neither in lshw (not even as unclaimed or unidentified device)

in dmesg there is:

rk-pcie fe170000.pcie: PCIe Link Up

rk-pcie fe180000.pcie: PCIe Link Up

rk-pcie fe190000.pcie: PCIe Link Up

(Are these the pcie bridges or the lan & wlan NIC's ?)

rk-pcie fe150000.pcie: PCIe Link Failed

(But i can't decrypt why)

armbianmonitor: https://paste.armbian.com/ovicanekan

Thanx for all your work helping others!

Hope i can join you soon..

Edited by Bidon
Add details confiig & correct error

• Solution

I have no idea what this rk3588-sata2 overlay is supposed to do. But I don't think you need it.

For you adapter, I guess you have one of this M.2 to sata adapters like this? https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0B6RQHY4F

I am pretty sure I tried to use this adapter directly some time ago and it was visible too. But that was the classic Orange Pi 5.

In lspci, you should see something like this.

05:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1166 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

Try to load the edge kernel 6.7 image. That one has received a lot of hardware support for the rk3588.

All what it needs is the ahci driver.

I do something similar on my OPi5+.

I have a M.2 to PCIe riser card. In there is a pcie switch card with a ASM2812 chip. This card has 2 M.2 slots. In there are M.2 to SATA3 adapters with an ASM1166 chip (each 6 ports).

It is the adapter from the link, not sure about it's version.

The OPI5 has onboard sata so i'm sure there's support out of the box.

### lspci:
0002:20:00.0 PCI bridge: Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd RK3588 (rev 01)
0002:21:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device b852
0003:30:00.0 PCI bridge: Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd RK3588 (rev 01)
0003:31:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)
0004:40:00.0 PCI bridge: Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd RK3588 (rev 01)
0004:41:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)

No ahci listed in lsmod. First i'll look if the module is present and if it will load.

Then i'll go try the edge kernel (on my 2nd emmc 😜), see how it works out..

Q: Can flashing a different rkspi_loader.img (from Joshua Riek) have positive result or should i stick to the image from the distro?

Q; Will booting from SD instead of emmc show me different targets (like sata) in armbian-install?

Edited by QuaxEros
Add questions

I don't think the OPi5 has onboard sata.  I think there may be an overlay for sata, though.

In any case, on my OPi5, I'm running off a 1TB NVME.  I'm running with 8 external data drives off a USB 3 hub.  I've set up OMV on Armbian Bullseye server version.  Running fine.

FYI, I don't believe there is an Armbian Bullseye version for the OPi5 Plus.  Not sure if you can build that yourself, but you may have to.  OMV 6, the current version, requires Debian Bullseye.  There is a beta version of OMV7, that could work for you.  Some OMV devs have indicated that OMV 7 is just as stable as OMV6.  Check the openmediavault forums for details.

I took my OPi5+ apart and inserted the M.2 to SATA to see how it goes with the edge 6.7 image. Works just fine. See below.

I did not do anything special, since PCIe3 support is there. It should work with the 5.10 kernel too. 

If it does not get recognized for you, maybe the adapter is dead. Try it in another system.

Kernel info

root@falcon ~> uname -a
Linux falcon.home.marco.cx 6.7.0-edge-rockchip-rk3588 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jan  7 20:18:38 UTC 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux

M.2 to SATA - ASM1166

root@falcon ~# lspci | grep -i asm
0000:01:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1166 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

root@falcon ~# lspci -s 0000:01:00.0 -vv | grep -E "(LnkCap:|LnkSta:|Kernel)"
        LnkCap:    Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x2, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <4us, L1 <64us
        LnkSta:    Speed 8GT/s, Width x2
    Kernel driver in use: ahci

I also did a test with another adapter I had still laying around.

M.2 to SATA - JMB585

root@falcon ~# lspci | grep -i jmb
0000:01:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB58x AHCI SATA controller

root@falcon ~# lspci -s 0000:01:00.0 -vv | grep -E "(LnkCap:|LnkSta:|driver)"
        LnkCap:    Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x2, ASPM not supported

And here is what my production setup looks like.

M.2 to PCIe - PCIe to M.2x2 (ASM2812) - M.2 to SATA ASM1166

root@falcon ~# lspci | grep -i asm
0000:01:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 2812 (rev 01)
0000:02:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 2812 (rev 01)
0000:02:08.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 2812 (rev 01)
0000:03:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1166 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)

root@falcon ~# lspci -s 0000:02:00.0 -vv | grep -E "(LnkCap:|LnkSta:|driver)"
        LnkCap:    Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x4, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <4us, L1 <64us
    Kernel driver in use: pcieport
root@falcon ~# lspci -s 0000:03:00.0 -vv | grep -E "(LnkCap:|LnkSta:|driver)"
        LnkCap:    Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x2, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <4us, L1 <64us

Which are basically this 3 products.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07YDH8KW9
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003908630199.html
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0B6RQHY4F

Edited by Marco Schirrmeister
Kernel version update

In the post #3 I posted my ENTIRE lspci with Jammy_legacy

After installing Jammy_edge (with quite some trouble) on emmc, initially no boot.

Had to wipe and reflash (using RKDevTool) multiple times both SPI and EMMC

Debug shows: Net:   No ethernet found.

and hangs at: Starting kernel ...

Then flashed rkspi_loader.img to SPINOR. The board booted and i got one extra PCI bridge..

# lspci
0000:00:00.0 PCI bridge: Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd Device 3588 (rev 01)
0002:20:00.0 PCI bridge: Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd Device 3588 (rev 01)
0002:21:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device b852
0003:30:00.0 PCI bridge: Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd Device 3588 (rev 01)
0003:31:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)
0004:40:00.0 PCI bridge: Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd Device 3588 (rev 01)
0004:41:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller (rev 05)

Screwed back in my nvme-to-sata..

# lspci
0000:00:00.0 PCI bridge: Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd Device 3588 (rev 01)
0000:01:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 1166 (rev 02)

Cigar!!

# lspci -s 0000:01:00.0 -vv | grep -E "(LnkCap:|LnkSta:|driver)"
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 8GT/s, Width x2, ASPM L0s L1, Exit Latency L0s <4us, L1 <64us
                LnkSta: Speed 8GT/s (ok), Width x2 (ok)

I'm really delighted that there was so much response from the forum. It's a nice place to come to, Much obliged!!

I had problems on legacy kernel to get zfs.ko module created, Something with the linux-headers didn't seem right. Gonna play and see if it works better on edge...

I had already tried installing OMV 7 and got it kind of working, gonna try that after zfs.

I hope the 32G will be ample for zfs, but i've seen it eating all up.

Well guys, THNX a lot! I can play on..

Still pay attention on how things behave, since all the rk3588 code in 6.x is new.

I for example still experience some strange behaviour on the OPi5+ with latest edge kernels, where irq / rtc-hym8563 process uses constantly around 10% cpu. I have not tried to look into it yet, but it is for sure not normal that IRQs are used nonstop like crazy.

Edited by Marco Schirrmeister
formatting

Hi,

After the success with the 6xSATA board on Bookworm/Jammy edge and a stable system without your irq issue i wanted to push forward and have it run ZFS, iSCSI targets and OMV7. Did bad research because OMV does neither. Had fun though compiling ZFS for 6.7.x, trying different combos with Debian/Ubuntu. In the end finished this adventure with another weird purpose for my 6 disk Zpool and wrote a bit about the experience in another thread.

If you wanna read it, it's here

Thanx for your help and C U !