Unable to connect to my NanoPi Neo3 via Ethernet

tea

I have spent 7 hours now trying to connect to my Neo3 via my laptop using a USB to Ethernet Adapter.

Ive also tried changing the nanopi microsd card image to see if it has any effect. from Ubuntu / Armbian / DietPi.

When im powering on my Neo3, with ubuntu only the red led shows, with the other two, the Red LED shows plus the green LED flashes.

Is this actually possible? Can I plug my Neo into my laptop with a ethernet usb adapter? or does it have to be into a router?

The error im getting on my laptop is Connection Failed : Activation of network connection failed.

the network manager shows it forever stuck on Connecting - 1000Mbps

Running cmd nmcli device status returns

ethernet  disconnected  

I ran dmesg to see if there was any errors, one line read

firmware: failed to load rtl_nic/rtl8153b-2.fw

this error is for my usb to ethernet adapter, I fixed this by downloading rtl8153b-2.fw into /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/ and running sudo update-initramfs -u

After running dmesg again, another error causing problems could be

xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: WARN Set TR Deq Ptr cmd failed due to incorrect slot or ep state.

im unable to fix this so far, I have tried changing ethernet cables, and also adding kernel parameter intel_iommu=off

The error still shows in dmesg and im unable to connect to my Neo3

Any advice guys?

@Werner thanks for reply, just purchased a serial adapter from amazon.

one question - applying to both ethernet and serial connection - is it relevant if the microsd card(and os) is plugged into the board or not? ie will it show up either way?

Yes, it is relevant. Without an sdcard with operating instructions (boot loader and OS to say) the board simply does absolutely nothing since there is no other storage on.

@Werner  Connected to UART and running sudo dmesg returns

[ 5936.103740] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 12 using xhci_hcd
[ 5936.283946] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=10c4, idProduct=ea60, bcdDevice= 1.00
[ 5936.283951] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 5936.283954] usb 1-1: Product: CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller
[ 5936.283956] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Silicon Labs
[ 5936.283958] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 0001
[ 5936.293074] cp210x 1-1:1.0: cp210x converter detected
[ 5936.296064] usb 1-1: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0

connecting usb to uart cables to pin 6 for GND, 8 for TX, 10 for RX - https://wiki.friendlyelec.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_NEO3

nnnn.png.427573dd739cf84267774581185031d4.png

now running sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200

Also tried with baud rate 1500000

no output in screen, just a flashing cursor

also tried powering down the SBC, reconnecting, etc.

the img im using is https://www.armbian.com/nanopineo3/  - Armbian Bookworm - Armbian_community_24.2.0-trunk.449_Nanopineo3_bookworm_current_6.6.13

What do you recommend?

These friendlyElec boards are a great stress, I never had this much problems with other boards such as raspberry Pi.

3 days wasted trying to connect... not a single bit of progress made, numerous distros copied to sd card, nothing works.

Edited by tea

I do run a Neo3 for years 24/7 without problems. Please avoid the rage. Of course, you may have a faulty unit. At the same time, if you want to run a relatively bare board, you should be ready to learn how to do it.

This looks like a connection issue before even being able to connect to the board.

Can you connect to any network using the USB Ethernet adapter? Your home router, for example?

Could you maybe also connect the board to your home router using Ethernet?

Are you sure your UART chip supports baud 1500000? CP2102 does not, CH340G and FT232RQ do IIRC (please re-check before buying).

Best

Lukas

8 hours ago, tea said:

What do you recommend?

1. Not using CP2102 as it cannot handle 1.5mbaud. CP2104 for example does.

2. not using random UART you find on the GPIO but using the actual debug UART connectors: https://wiki.friendlyelec.com/wiki/images/7/7c/NanoPi_NEO3-layout.jpg

3. @lpirl can be right too. I used to own a Neo3 just like yours but it died on me.

@Werner

sudo screen -LU /dev/ttyUSB0 1500000 is the command used

using a diff USB-UART(CH341) and debug pins, im getting output to  terminal, the only thing is im noticing not all is printing, and its changing every time i re-run the command.

the logfile screenlog.0 shows different output to whats on the screen, unsure if this is due to character encoding, or missing data.

Example somtimes it may show missing text such as Boo nux on physi... CPU instead of Booting Linux on physical CPU

Edited by tea

12 hours ago, tea said:

Boo nux on physi... CPU

Could be a loose connection/slack joint. Hard to tell remotely

12 hours ago, tea said:

Boo nux on physi... CPU

Yeah that one should do.