How to enable extra kernel modules when compiling from source?

VioletGiraffe
Go to solution Solved by Werner,

Hi, I'm new to Armbian and this is my first time ever compiling any Linux system. I'm sorry to bother you with such a basic question, but I just don't understand. I want to enable a kernel module. Upon browsing the kernel configuration utility menus, I don't see this functionality anywhere. But if I run search with '/', I find this, this is the module I want:

image.png.e8b10162720df75baffb61feb8161c4b.png

How do I now proceed to enable it? Or make sure that it's enabled (if present by default)?

Also, what's the meaning of =y and =m? It's listed in the resulting .config file as =y, just as the search shows.

Thank you very much, that explains it.

One nitpick, definitely not worth a separate thread. compile.sh suggested that I should first run it with the "kernel-config" option, and after it runs, it says to build using make. But that doesn't work as no makefiles are created. The two-stage process (first configure, then compile) makes a lot of sense to me, but how to run the second stage?

There are actual two ways. You can use ./compile.sh KERNEL_CONFIGURE=yes which will continue to assemble an image with the modified config file which is more user friendly.

On the other hand there is ./compile.sh kernel-config which will export the modified kernel config into output/ folder and stops there which is more developer friendly.

If you chose latter route you need to move the exported config to userpatches or overwrite the one in config/kernel/. Once you done that simply execute ./compile.sh and the modified config will be used.