orangepi 3b Enable uarts

carlos nascimento

Hello forum,

Hardware options are not working, this submenu is coming null for Orange Pi 3b.

I tried the below images for Debian with 3 different fresh(Zero) SD Cards (Sandisk Ultra C10 HC I @16 and 32GB).

I do not want to work with Ubuntu base.

https://www.armbian.com/orangepi3b/

Armbian_community_24.5.0-trunk.250_Orangepi3b_bookworm_edge_6.7.10_minimal.img.xz            Mar 21, 2024

Armbian_community_24.5.0-trunk.250_Orangepi3b_bookworm_vendor_6.1.43_minimal.img.xz        Mar 21, 2024

is there anyone who has the solution or advice?

Thank you.

opi3b hw armbian-config.PNG

@vbk

My English is not the best.

It seems like you can boot Armbian_community_24.5.0-trunk.250_Orangepi3b_bookworm_vendor_6.1.43_minimal.img.xz ?

I made a post that I can't boot my homebuilt bookworm minimal with the vendor kernel. I was curious it my home built image was bad. So I downloaded the above mentioned image and burned it to a sd card, and I got exactly the same kernel panic!. (Kernel panic - not syncing: panic_on_set_idle set).  Then I thought that it maybe was an issue with the u-boot I have flashed to spi. (I got another image on emmc)

So I erased the spi, and booted from sd card again, it booted further, but got another kernel panic:

sysfs: cannot create duplicate filename '/devices/virtual/tty/ttyBT0' 

and

kobject_add_internal failed for ttyBT0 with -EEXIST, don't try to register things with the same name in the same directory.

I have no idea what it is, but seems like Bluetooth is registering twice.

If you can boot the vendor kernel image that my Orangepi3b board has some issues Or my powersupply(s). But the edge kernel images boots fine.

Regards the hardware options/overlays, I do not think is built any overlays with the image and/or the overlay name is wrong.

Check the overlay_prefix=  in /boot/armbianEnv.txt.  The overlay prefix name must match with the first name (before the -)of your overlays in: /boot/dtb/rockchip/overlay/

If your overlays has name like this: rk356x-i2c2-m1.dtbo. Then your overlay_prefix should be: overlay_prefix=rk356x

But maybe it is none for the orangepi3b. What I did was downloading a xunlong orangepi3b image to an sd card, or you can loop mount it. Then copy out the overlays, use filezilla and sftp it over to your orangepi3b, place them in your overlay folder and edit armbianEnv.txt to the right overlay name.

I have red that it should not work if it was not compiled with the kernel, but I use one overlay and it works.

My overlays

Skjermbildefra2024-03-2300-50-32.thumb.png.3999603e11ee6357eeb7110bd757d64c.png

Hi Protx,

i tried this image with 3 different SDCard and nothing. It did not work, again. I am not sure how worked the first time. 

I ordered another OPI3B one, I think, it may be relevant to HW.

I will inform you when I get the new board and test it

@Protx

oh it's cool that you managed to build it, I spend the last nights fighting with kernel panic😃 tnx!

uart3 and uart9 work just perfect! Now I need to detach uart2 from debug console and enjoy 3 uarts ))

Edited by Ruslan Ilin

Ok. I have been testing several different images.

I got some progress, I now got the bookworm-minimal-vendor-kernel to boot.

Link to my post

@Protx

Nice Job,

I will test these in detail and get back to you.

Edited by vbk