Vanilla desktop release

Andrey

I am thinking how to reduce the number of different builds. :huh: It takes a lot of time to build them (whole day), even I already made a lot of cache optimizations and have a decent HW.

This is the main problem. I do sometime build with vanilla, so it's working fine ... except audio and video acceleration.

2nd option is to upgrade. It should work fine.

If you seek for a solid / better / audiophile sound you should go for external DAC anyway  ;) I know you probably don't want that, so just use legacy kernel until then. It's working good enough.

Check here - 4.3 is about to be out. I guess a month, two.

www.kernel.org 

No no, legacy kernel (3.4.109) has full working audio, even I2S on some boards.

Audio features just haven't reach mainline kernel (www.kernel.org) yet.

I am thinking how to reduce the number of different builds. :huh: It takes a lot of time to build them (whole day), even I already made a lot of cache optimizations and have a decent HW.

This is the main problem. I do sometime build with vanilla, so it's working fine ... except audio and video acceleration.

2nd option is to upgrade. It should work fine.

So Audio support in 4.4. But what about Video ?

I don't understand the whole thing, but it seems like OpenGLes Mali will never be in the mainline ?

Do you think you will ever have a desktop that will support it ?

Thanks,

JM.

Hi.

So, does that means that the Legacy version download is a complete image (with some kind of GUI and all necessary drivers)?

Btw, I noticed in the Vanilla Desktop box it says it has the free HW acceleration when available. Does it refer to Cedrus/VDPAU driver?

Thanks.

I noticed in the Vanilla Desktop box it says it has the free HW acceleration when available. Does it refer to Cedrus/VDPAU driver?

It's a general notice. Yes, available is only in legacy kernel and this will be for some time.

Audio is mainlined and it'll be soon in stable. 

What is the current status of the video components in the Vanilla Desktop version?

I downloaded the 4.5.2 version today and I don't see /dev/mali when I boot that image. Because it was listed in the supported box, I was hoping it was enabled.

Is there something I need to do so that the device appears?

Thanks

What is the current status of the video components in the Vanilla Desktop version?

I downloaded the 4.5.2 version today and I don't see /dev/mali when I boot that image. Because it was listed in the supported box, I was hoping it was enabled.

Is there something I need to do so that the device appears?

Thanks

I updated the text on download page since it was misleading, yes. MALI and video acceleration is not working in Vanilla kernels.

When & if this will be supported? No idea, most likely not.

http://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining_effort

It's not my territory - I am only quoting the origin.

I think the task is probably too demanding with lots of missing dependencies and possible © issues.