Fake X96 mini S905W (RK3229)

I was looking for a low-cost S905W tv box. I discovered this counterfeitby accident because I couldn't boot any armbian image for S905W soc and I accidentally tried the multitool and it started right away 1GB/8GB version and not 2GB/16GB.

So be very careful what you buy and if possible send it back to these dishonest Chinese sellers!

x96mini.jpg

I know you mentioned this elsewhere, but I thought I would point it out for those that stumble across this post.  Notice that they even go so far as to change the markings on the CPU to say it is something that it is not.  It is also common that manufacturers will customize the android firmware to report incorrect ram/storage amounts.  So sell you a 2G/16G box that android reports as being that, only to find out it really only has 1G/8G of real components.  When it comes to these cheap boxes, the only thing that matters to the end customer is the price generally, so the manufacturers do everything they can to cut the cost.  Because when you have 100 boxes being sold that all essentially do the same thing, a consumer naturally looks to the lowest price to make their buy.

@SteeMan I completely agree with you, by chance I discovered this forum dedicated to TV boxes and I wanted to have some fun with these cheap low quality TV boxes. Now I understand well why Armbian does not officially support TV boxes and I wanted to share my recent discoveries with that interesting forum. 

@Khadas  and I thank you for what you have posted.  Armbian is always in need of intelligent people helping in anyway they can.  Things as simple as reporting your findings help others