Building S922X. ODroid OGU. Different Kernel

I was hoping to get some idea if it would be possible to build Armbian for the ODroid OGU (S922X, similar to N2+) using a different Kernel. Specifically, using the version from JelOS (https://github.com/JustEnoughLinuxOS/distribution) who have made really good progress for this specific device.

I've been building JelOS and modifying packages etc, but would prefer to use Armbian if possible.

Any help appreciated.

This is certainly possible.  The level of difficulty depends on exactly what you mean by 'using a different kernel'.  Start with https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Welcome

The basic Armbian kernel build process is to start with a kernel git tree, apply a bunch of patches that are missing from said tree (usually patches that haven't yet made it to mainline), combine with a kernel specific config file and build the resulting kernel.

So depending on what the differences are between your 'different kernel' and what Armbian builds, you could insert your different kernel into any/all of those areas (i.e. you could add the missing patches that other kernel has, you could fix/change the kernel config to add/removed features, or you could use an entirely different git kernel source tree, or a combination of these three). 

The key would be to figure out what is different between the Armbian and other kernel that is relevant for your board.  Ideally this could be done as a PR to Armbian to add better support for that board into Armbian.