Towards a mainstream kernel for Orange Pi 5

Gullik

Since the specific USB hardware support is now in place, I thought it would be good to discuss pitfalls and remedies

for transitioning to a modern kernel.

I have now tested the 6.8.5 based Armbian. None of the latest packages (.408 - .411) come up with HDMI output. You have to have

a serial console connected, and then correct the problems.

1) This is what you are greeted with: [    6.828040] panthor fb000000.gpu: [drm] *ERROR* Failed to load firmware image 'mali_csffw.bin'

To fix this do apt install armbian-firmware-full and reboot

2) The 8821cu driver has performance problems. Also, the stupid "windows" adapter comes up as a CDROM, and has to be cycled

by removing and inserting with its driver loaded, for the wifi to be recognized.

These seem minor fixes, firmware repackaging etc...

Hopefully we can document results from testing and workarounds in this thread.

A big hurray, for Armbian bringing mainstream to OPI 5.....

Gullik

One of my OPI5 was left alone for > 30 minutes, and DID in fact boot. What was happening is not known....

Wifi performance is strange, but probably a RTW88_8821cu driver issue.

Download rate 20-25 Mbps

Upload rate   115-130 Mbps

Iperf3 rate 55/56 Mbps

My phone does 200/200 on the same ap and distance.

Gullik

A very worthwhile discussion indeed now that there seems to be some light being seen at the other end of the tunnel.

I'm not so sure that the specific USB hardware support is now in place in it's entirety.

For the past few days I have been testing all of the rolling releases for both 6.1 and 6.8 kernels and the results can differ from day to day.

I fully understand that the nature of rolling releases is that there are all manner of changes made from day to day, so no complaints at all as I know that things can break.

The fact that we do know that the USB hardware support does now have solutions does bode well and I would imagine that it will integrate into all builds very soon.

In terms of the transitioning, pitfalls and remedies, I have come across an issue with a particular build type.

This week I spotted a build that was of particular interest because of the panthor and amazingfated connections , the Orangepi5_jammy_vendor-boogie-panthor_6.1.43_kde-neon-amazingfated-oibaf_desktop.img, which is now at Armbian_24.5.0-trunk.416.

Unfortunately I am unable to get it to load from any trunk build. It initially boots correctly and I go though the config routine to create login and passwords etc.

But when things get to the actual desktop login screen, when logging in, the screen goes briefly black, with the mouse cursor popping up and a small white bar at the top left of the screen, before being returned to the login screen.

No matter how many times I try, it will not complete the login process. I know that the password is correct because if I deliberately enter an incorrect password, it is rejected with a specific message to conform this.

I did then attempt to login as root but even when entering the correct credentials created during the initial config process, the credentials were rejected as being incorrect, despite them being correct.

Hopefully somebody else may have tested the same and can offer a potential solution to enable me to fully test and report back on this particular 6.1 build.

A very worthwhile discussion indeed now that there seems to be some light being seen at the other end of the tunnel.

I'm not so sure that the specific USB hardware support is now in place in it's entirety.

For the past few days I have been testing all of the rolling releases for both 6.1 and 6.8 kernels and the results can differ from day to day.

I fully understand that the nature of rolling releases is that there are all manner of changes made from day to day, so no complaints at all as I know that things can break.

The fact that we do know that the USB hardware support does now have solutions does bode well and I would imagine that it will integrate into all builds very soon.

In terms of the transitioning, pitfalls and remedies, I have come across an issue with a particular build type.

This week I spotted a build that was of particular interest because of the panthor and amazingfated connections , the Orangepi5_jammy_vendor-boogie-panthor_6.1.43_kde-neon-amazingfated-oibaf_desktop.img, which is now at Armbian_24.5.0-trunk.416.

Unfortunately I am unable to get it to load from any trunk build. It initially boots correctly and I go though the config routine to create login and passwords etc.

But when things get to the actual desktop login screen, when logging in, the screen goes briefly black, with the mouse cursor popping up and a small white bar at the top left of the screen, before being returned to the login screen.

No matter how many times I try, it will not complete the login process. I know that the password is correct because if I deliberately enter an incorrect password, it is rejected with a specific message to conform this.

I did then attempt to login as root but even when entering the correct credentials created during the initial config process, the credentials were rejected as being incorrect, despite them being correct.

Hopefully somebody else may have tested the same and can offer a potential solution to enable me to fully test and report back on this particular 6.1 build.

Hi!
I've tested it as well, and I was able to access the desktop after an apt update & upgrade from SSH, try that

Enviado desde mi SM-G991B mediante Tapatalk

Dbosco

Thanks, that worked and to the point where login was also automatic.

I'm not sure if the updates broke anything because video and webgl performance testing in Chromium didn't indicate any performance increases.

Posted (edited)

Wifi performance is strange, but probably a RTW88_8821cu driver issue.

Download rate 20-25 Mbps

Upload rate   115-130 Mbps

Iperf3 rate 55/56 Mbps

My phone does 200/200 on the same ap and distance.

Now running 6.8.6, latest edge........

Same performance..

Replacing kitted driver with https://github.com/morrownr/8821cu-20210916

results in download rate going from 25 Mbps to 70 Mbps

and upload rate going from 50-100 to 130 -180 Mbps

so obviously there is work to be done..

G

Edited by Gullik

So, I am now at 6.8.8 kernel, and it seems good and stable.

rtl8811/8821 driver is still underperforming, and delivers less than half the performance of

the morrownr driver.

Alsa does only show the default soundjack, so HDMI audio is still lacking.

What else is missing?

Gullik

@Gullik

I would assume we can get some ideas on progress with rk3588 from this link(even if it isn't specific for opi5/opi5+):

https://gitlab.collabora.com/hardware-enablement/rockchip-3588/notes-for-rockchip-3588/-/blob/main/mainline-status.md

It seems HDMI audio is not even being worked on but it might also come 'natual' with the GPU stuff/other hdmi stuff(I dont know)

Maybe it works with the libmali stuff I don't know. But I find it pretty wonky as it is with the legacy kernel that is supposed to work with it.

Iperf3 performance using my 8821cu drivers peaked at ~135 Mbps.

For experiments I bought a Fenvi AX1800 adapter. Speed with this adapter

reaches 220 Mbps with Iperf3. I would have expected better, but can see the  following:

It seems the adapter does not connect USB3, but USB2 speed, so that

might be an explanation.

G

root@orangepi5-2:~# iperf3 -c 192.168.1.80
Connecting to host 192.168.1.80, port 5201
[  5] local 192.168.1.169 port 47482 connected to 192.168.1.80 port 5201
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr  Cwnd
[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec  28.4 MBytes   238 Mbits/sec    0   3.45 MBytes       
[  5]   1.00-2.00   sec  24.5 MBytes   206 Mbits/sec    0   3.71 MBytes       
[  5]   2.00-3.00   sec  26.6 MBytes   223 Mbits/sec    0   4.11 MBytes       
[  5]   3.00-4.00   sec  25.9 MBytes   217 Mbits/sec    0   4.11 MBytes       
[  5]   4.00-5.00   sec  25.9 MBytes   217 Mbits/sec    0   4.66 MBytes       
[  5]   5.00-6.00   sec  26.0 MBytes   218 Mbits/sec    0   4.66 MBytes       
[  5]   6.00-7.00   sec  26.0 MBytes   218 Mbits/sec    0   6.49 MBytes       
[  5]   7.00-8.00   sec  25.8 MBytes   216 Mbits/sec    0   6.49 MBytes       
[  5]   8.00-9.00   sec  25.6 MBytes   215 Mbits/sec    0   7.66 MBytes       
[  5]   9.00-10.01  sec  26.9 MBytes   224 Mbits/sec    0   7.66 MBytes       
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-10.01  sec   262 MBytes   219 Mbits/sec    0             sender
[  5]   0.00-10.06  sec   259 MBytes   216 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.
root@orangepi5-2:~# lsusb -t
/:  Bus 001.Port 001: Dev 001, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 002.Port 001: Dev 001, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 5000M
/:  Bus 003.Port 001: Dev 001, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M
    |__ Port 001: Dev 002, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=mt7921u, 480M
/:  Bus 004.Port 001: Dev 001, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
/:  Bus 005.Port 001: Dev 001, Class=root_hub, Driver=ohci-platform/1p, 12M
    |__ Port 001: Dev 002, If 0, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 12M
    |__ Port 001: Dev 002, If 1, Class=Human Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 12M
/:  Bus 006.Port 001: Dev 001, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 007.Port 001: Dev 001, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 480M
/:  Bus 008.Port 001: Dev 001, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci-hcd/1p, 5000M
root@orangepi5-2:~#

root@orangepi5-2:~# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

end0      no wireless extensions.

wlx90de80d68879  IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"yyyyyy"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.18 GHz  Access Point: xx.xx.xx.xx.xx.xx  
          Bit Rate=720.6 Mb/s   Tx-Power=3 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off