A cluster with 5 BPI M2+

hendricus

Hallo,

In my mind i want to build a cluster with 5 bpi m2+. Purpose: Home-server- Storage off all media files/also using cointainers/Raid*** - Back-up for Win/Linux based pc in home. Media-server(KODI)- Use at first one screen/future >more -access by internet Back-up -Cloudservice (for example BOX) Extra - NAS

***(5 bpi * 2 usb can be up to 10 usb-harddisk off 2GB or more. I just started with bpi. But this what i have in mind. So 20 GB or more can be set to Raid0/Raid5

Every information is welcome. Also about wich Os can work the best etc..

With kindly regards,

Henk

Well, I have to admit that I don't understand why you're talking about Raid0/Raid5 spanning accross different servers. IMO the whole idea is questionable especially using 5 overpriced SBC (BPi M2+ is IMO the least interesting H3 device around, if you need same feature set then look at NanoPi M1 Plus that doesn't overheat that much due to better voltage regulation or even Orange Pi Plus 2E where you get way faster eMMC twice the size and also 2GB DRAM and slightly higher clocked CPU).

Anyway: if I would have a use case where SBC with Gigabit Ethernet and as much USB2 ports as possible are required I would clearly go for Orange Pi PC 2 instead. And if I would like to implement RAID I clearly wouldn't use 5 SBC with USB disks but one board combined with SATA disks for the same price: Clearfog Pro combined with 2 x ASM1062 in the mPCIe slots for example.