Direct Install onto rockchip 3588

pgiglio67

Hello team 

Hoping I can get some advice here 

We have a custom device running rockchip3588

It boot up into android 12

This device has no  SD card option 

We installed RKdevtool  on a laptop connected to the back of the device via usb C

installed Ubuntu  20.04 desktop using firefly by partitioning the free space 

We simply dragged and dropped the image over to the space using firefly 

However it failed with no free space to even run a standard update 

We are trying to wipe it out and install Ambian directly onto it removing android

We should then have enough space not having to boot up with android 

Does anyone have any idea on hw to accomplish this 

You do not supply enough information about your issue.

First off what SBC are you working with.  Armbian builds are specific to each device.

Second what build are you attempting to use?

Posted (edited)

Hello SteeMAn

Sorry but I'm new to the arm chip world 

30 plus years in Tandem ,Unix, Linux Multiple platforms 

So if this sounds crazy i apologize

This device is sealed from the manufacture designing for us

Its a all in one healthcare device

That being said we command line into it while its running android

How would I get that info you have asked for?

Thanks in advance

Edited by pgiglio67

If you can't determine what device you have, there is no way you are going to be able to install Armbian on it.  The world of linux on ARM is very different than linux on x86.  There are no real standards for a boot environment and on board device management.  For this reason you need an individual build for each device.  One that has a boot environment that can boot the device and also a device specific dtb (device tree) that tells the linux kernel what hardware the board has.  Those components need to be developed for each board at often the expense of many man months as the board manufactures have no interest in supporting the process of having mainline linux work on their devices.

If you have the skills and resources to invest a very significant amount of time into such an effort, it can be done (if you have schematics and support from the device manufacturer that helps a lot).  But the first step would be to open the device to get as the motherboard and understand what components you are working with.  Then get a usb-uart connector hooked up and start monitoring the boot process to figure out how the device is booting (off of what media so you know where you are going to need to install a new boot loader to)  Since the board is running android (which is only enough like real linux to get in the way generally), what comes installed isn't going to be very helpful in your process.

Rkdevtool has nothing to do with building working code for your board.  You need to think of this as a coding project.  You need to build something that is installable and runnable for your board.  Nothing that exists is going to work on it.  Each board requires a custom code set to boot and run in the arm world today. 

The world of open source is all about reverse engineering things where manufacturers don't want to invest in openness.  That is why Armbian exists.  But it takes a lot of effort.

Here are a couple of threads that show how the process works and the time it takes to do what you want without support from the manufacturer:

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/24091-efforts-to-develop-firmware-for-h96-max-v56-rk3566-4g32g

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/28895-efforts-to-develop-firmware-for-h96-max-v56-rk3566-8g64g

Yea my biggest issue here is getting it to run without having to keep android on it .

We have successfully created a duel boot but that takes up mem

I also know a project that uses raspberry pi boot loader to install onto the rockchip .

Your right it seems its a free for all