Headers package version mismatch 24.2.5 vs 24.2.1

My system has `linux-image-current-bcm2712` package installed with version 24.2.5 which I believe is the current Arbian release.

I installed `linux-headers-current-bcm2712`, but this package has version 24.2.1. So I end up with system running `6.6.23-current-bcm2712` with headers for `6.6.18-current-bcm2712` and I can't build extra drivers in result.

Any hints?

I love technical forums that don't understand markdown, it makes life so much easier...

1 hour ago, Michal Fita said:

Any hints?

Did you reboot before (re)installing headers? If yes and still not ok ...  beta repository certainly has matched kernel / headers combo. IMO its pretty safe to upgrade to daily builds, but then freeze kernel (can be done in armbian-config).

Did you reboot before (re)installing headers?

How this helps `apt` recognize what to install from the repository? But yes, I gave it a try... reinstalling `linux-headers-current-bcm2712` reinstalls 24.2.1 with 6.6.18 in it.

I used `armbian-config` as suggested... and ended up with:

hi  linux-headers-current-bcm2712   24.2.1                                  arm64        Armbian Linux current headers 6.6.18-current-bcm2712
hi  linux-image-current-bcm2712     24.5.0-trunk.530                        arm64        Armbian Linux current kernel image 6.6.30-current-bcm2712

What's actually even worse.

More hints?

OK 🤦‍♂️

I had to unfreeze, do `apt update` manually, then I got update for `linux-headers-` to 24.5.0.

So, `apt upgrade` did:

ii  linux-headers-current-bcm2712   24.5.0-trunk.530                        arm64        Armbian Linux current headers 6.6.30-current-bcm2712
ii  linux-image-current-bcm2712     24.5.0-trunk.530                        arm64        Armbian Linux current kernel image 6.6.30-current-bcm2712

Possible bug in `armbian-config` not upgrading headers package?

Posted (edited)

IMO its pretty safe to upgrade to daily builds, but then freeze kernel (can be done in armbian-config).

And 6.6.30 bricks the unit... doesn't boot 🤦‍♂️ and I don't have serial cable to my RPi5.

Fan remains spinning at full speed.

Going back to reflash the SD Card with original image. Who can fix header package for the stable branch?

Edited by Michal Fita

56 minutes ago, Michal Fita said:

Who can fix header package for the stable branch?

This is just one issue out of thousands and we operate all this with budget that is very close to zero. This should be picked by maintainer, if exists. We support them from our business deals, but still, they come and go and in between, we have nobody. For a month and half, there is nobody and I can't cover, its too expensive. Since none of board maintainer is full time, but they should be, this can easily take weeks, or more ... But luckily:

image.png

• automated builds makes it half way. Its there, even smoke tested, where problems are not detected.
  • one can build combo on their own.
  • its open source. You can fix bugs too.
  • we need to push new release by the end of the month.

And yes, I heard there are some problems with Rpi kernels. Which will just make us more damages and headaches. Rpi foundation has almost 2 mio EUR yearly budget to fight problems ... :( Its not Armbian that is making bugs, but you expect us to pay to fix them.

I tried to help you with hints. Here I have to stop. Out on vacations.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Igor said:

its open source. You can fix bugs too.

Gladly, just need to know where to start to trigger CI to build header's package for 24.2.5?

Its there, even smoke tested, where problems are not detected.

Raspberry Pi 5 is not on the list.

but you expect us to pay to fix them.

No, I expect to tell me what's wrong and give hint how this can be fixed.

We support them from our business deals

How much we'd have to pay to get this fixed?

Edited by Michal Fita

2 minutes ago, Michal Fita said:

I expect to tell me what's wrong

Usually research (or active sponsoring of our team) is needed to determine what is wrong. This can take half an hour or several weeks. As active sponsoring is still way below 1% of our costs, I have absolutely no interest to cover expenses of any research and then provide findings in exchange for nothing. This is deadly for the project and our mental health. Usually additional questions / research are requested, which only makes developers  more frustrated. This is quite common delusion here - that open source developers are stupid and just happy to work for free. Yes, limited to things they like to work on. There are thousands of problems and they are not ours. They are yours, even "sold" under Armbian assembly. If you can tell who will pay research for you or for everyone, I will find someone that will do it. Or not. I have no budget to spent. Since this is open source, anyone can finance to tell what is wrong. This is the essence of this forums.

11 minutes ago, Michal Fita said:

How much we'd have to pay to get this fixed?

... and perhaps another week that solution is developed, implemented and tested? Perhaps a lot more. Ain't simple to answer to this question.

All this require serious investment from our side to support worse customer there is ;) Don't take this as an offence as this is a part of the game. This only have ends at different point.  You can donate, or not. If you want that this is fixed, this has different procedure. It require establishing business relation, which procedure is by default expensive and for resolving one problem ... its a lot better to skip it anyway. However, starting point is trying to make a support contract, make large enough donation that we don't need to pay for everything as we will not move. This is not something granted as I need to be sure that I can keep my promise and meet your expectations.

32 minutes ago, Michal Fita said:

Gladly, just need to know where to start to trigger CI to build header's package for 24.2.5?

Armbian CI can only be executed by Armbian staff member with sufficient privileges. I am talking about CI that is auto remaking all our code (kernel, headers, ...) on code change. This is dropped to APT repo http://beta.armbian.com, which is updated daily and at every code change.

2 hours ago, Igor said:

They are yours, even "sold" under Armbian assembly.

Agree.

2 hours ago, Igor said:

You can donate, or not. If you want that this is fixed, this has different procedure. It require establishing business relation, which procedure is by default expensive and for resolving one problem ... its a lot better to skip it anyway. However, starting point is trying to make a support contract, make large enough donation that we don't need to pay for everything as we will not move. This is not something granted as I need to be sure that I can keep my promise and meet your expectations.

My company can only cover costs for agreed Statement of Work and the price has to be agreed upfront. We can push limited number of hours invoiced for something important, but unfortunately we can't do donations - startups looks every penny both sides twice.

2 hours ago, Igor said:

Armbian CI can only be executed by Armbian staff member with sufficient privileges. I am talking about CI that is auto remaking all our code (kernel, headers, ...) on code change. This is dropped to APT repo http://beta.armbian.com, which is updated daily and at every code change.

Looks like images released aren't compatible with state of APT repositories:

~# apt show -a linux-image-current-bcm2712 
Package: linux-image-current-bcm2712
Version: 24.2.5
Priority: optional
Section: kernel
Source: linux-6.6.23
Maintainer: Armbian Linux <info@armbian.com>
Installed-Size: 155 MB
Provides: linux-image, linux-image-armbian, armbian-current
Armbian-Kernel-Version: 6.6.23
Armbian-Kernel-Version-Family: 6.6.23-current-bcm2712
Armbian-Original-Hash: 6.6.23-S8c3e-Dfed2-P0000-Ccc02H66b1-HK01ba-Vc222-Bd104-R448a
Download-Size: unknown
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: /var/lib/dpkg/status
Description: Armbian Linux current kernel image 6.6.23-current-bcm2712
 This package contains the Linux kernel, modules and corresponding other files.
 version "6.6.23" git revision "8c3e7a55220cb7cb13131bb8dccd37694537eb97" codename "Hurr durr Ima ninja sloth" drivers hash "fed24384_9f81b93f" patches hash "0000000000000000" .config hash "cc027d3a59f16119" .config hook hash "66b17b0d7f47b551" variables hash "c22207b66dc5dd57157df2cd7b9c20559b2ed8ac44b9c3c3b9704002c06b8921" framework bash hash "d1042705e60277e8"

Package: linux-image-current-bcm2712
Version: 24.2.1
Priority: optional
Section: kernel
Source: linux-6.6.18
Maintainer: Armbian Linux <info@armbian.com>
Installed-Size: 158 MB
Provides: linux-image, linux-image-armbian, armbian-current
Armbian-Kernel-Version: 6.6.18
Armbian-Kernel-Version-Family: 6.6.18-current-bcm2712
Armbian-Original-Hash: 6.6.18-S9e78-D6b4a-P0000-Cb2aaH4168-HK01ba-Vc222-B067e-R448a
Download-Size: 27.4 MB
APT-Sources: http://apt.armbian.com jammy/main arm64 Packages
Description: Armbian Linux current kernel image 6.6.18-current-bcm2712
 This package contains the Linux kernel, modules and corresponding other files.
 version "6.6.18" git revision "9e78addad23f9fc66b0c6399d9234e44a89d699a" codename "Hurr durr Ima ninja sloth" drivers hash "6b4abbc6_0b3d8cbf" patches hash "0000000000000000" .config hash "b2aa59cc79694025" .config hook hash "4168b2934f796ee8" variables hash "c22207b66dc5dd57157df2cd7b9c20559b2ed8ac44b9c3c3b9704002c06b8921" framework bash hash "067e1a10c790605d"

`APT-Sources` field indicates only the latter is available on apt.armbian.com... I found https://armbian.site-meganet.com/apt/pool/main/l/linux-6.6.18/ only, no directory for 6.6.23 in there.

sudo apt install linux-image-current-bcm2712=24.2.1

Did this solve the kernel/header mismatch? I ran into the same issue (and posted separately - not sure that's public yet.) My search-foo was not sufficient to find this post.

best,