Bpi M1 - powered down with the button and still the usb hdd activity

Pito

Posted (edited)

Hi, I've been running the OMV7 latest with the armbian headless latest. I've set the power button for powering the system off in the OMV's gui.

When the system is "on" I can power the system down by short press on the power button, the system powers off after aprox 10 seconds (so hopefully a clean shut down), the power led and network led get off, but the USB HDD (external 2.5in 320GB WD) still shows activity after power down - the activity led on it blinks (like 5 blinks per second) and I can hear a light clicking in aprox 1sec intervals. The disk does not spin, however (I cannot hear the spinning). I've been using a battery backup (3.7V lion) wired to the BPi M1 board permanently (there is an onboard controller for the battery backup management).

What needs to be set in order the external USB HDD stops showing activity after the power down?

Edited by Pito

• Pito changed the title to Bpi M1 - powered down with the button and still the usb hdd activity
Posted (edited)

The clicking sound comes from the HDD because it tries to spin up (I can hear a weak sound of the motor trying to start). The power controller on the M1 board feeds some voltage to the USB connector even after power down but with not enough current. So the issue is with the power management controller which does not switch the USB voltage fully off.

Edited by Pito

So, it seems it was the D5 diode in the step-up switcher, got pretty hot and the 5V usb dropped, therefore the hdd tried to spinup repeatedly.

I've replaced it with a beefy 1N5819 (a trough hole version), there is stable 5V out now, the disk blinks after power down of the system, but the disk does not try to spin up.