File names for a newbie

Go to solution Solved by Werner,

Can you help me with the contents of the file name?

I understand edge, vendor, but then there are other suffixes that are not clear to me: are gnome-oibaf_desktop the same "kernel release" as the xfce_desktop or minimal? Or there are patches that are applied only to a specific version?

Thanks! 

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

Those are summaries what the image contains. Some might be obvious, others need more knowledge, I agree. However asking is always free ;)

"gnome-oibaf_desktop" means the image comes with Gnome desktop environment and has mesa packages by oibaf ppa pre-installed which ship the most recent mesa packages available.

"xfce_desktop" is an image shipped with XFCE desktop environment.

"minimal" images come with the bare minimum for a running system on CLI level. Tools like armbian-config are not pre-installed, but can be installed via apt like any other software.

Cheers

So the non oibaf releases don't come with the ppa only? If I configure it I'll have the same benefits as the Gnome one? Sorry, I just prefer other WM/DE than Gnome :), but I'd like to have all the latest and greatest as in that release.

• Solution

Not necessarily.  IIRC Gnome was selected because of its mature Wayland support. So the UX might differ on other constellations.