status of armbian-configng?

Go to solution Solved by Igor,

The "create access point" utility in `armbian-config` has several bugs that prevent it from working, due to changes in the default installation since it was written:

- hostapd does not install a default configuration file at `/etc/hostapd.conf`
- hostapd is installed masked by default
- dnsmasq fails to start because systemd-resolvd launches first as the default DNS resolver

I can write patches to fix this utility, but I'm wondering if it will ultimately be worth it.  I noticed this access point utility doesn't exist in the `armbian-configng` repository.  Is that because Armbian is dropping this utility, or no one has gotten around to it yet?  (There's not even a placeholder for it.)  What's the status of `armbian-configng` anyhow?  Will it eventually replace `armbian-config`?

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

• Solution
On 6/3/2024 at 12:53 PM, jimg said:

or no one has gotten around to it yet?

This. I think the shell / concept is done and adding this should already be possible, but from scratch. We try to get rid of that old spaghetti code that is in old armbian-config.

What's the status of `armbian-configng` anyhow? 

I am not very up 2 date on what is going on there. @Tearran and @schwar3kat are trying hard to push it further and perhaps they can give you some hints how to add this section. 

Will it eventually replace `armbian-config`?

Yes. That the idea.

sorry for the delay this stumped me.

or no one has gotten around to it yet?  

Simply put, Hotspot does not show on all devices. Well mine at least :)  .Thanks for bringing this to light. 

This. I think the shell / concept is done and adding this should already be possible, but from scratch. We try to get rid of that old spaghetti code that is in old armbian-config.

Started something to act at the least a placeholder helper function. https://github.com/armbian/configng/blob/hotspot/lib/armbian-configng/config.ng.network.sh#L122 corasponding job https://github.com/armbian/configng/blob/hotspot/lib/armbian-configng/config.ng.jobs.json#L195 the default condition is hidden. As mentioned hotspot is not available to all devices. Runtime condition checks would be needed to show on compatible devices. 

I can write patches to fix this utility, but I'm wondering if it will ultimately be worth it.

can not say, I can only say @jimg any further insights you provided will be welcomed.