Is this a right way to protect circuit and raspberry pi?

Loanrn

Hi,

I am working on a project based on raspberry pi and sensors, I am using sensors to get data and I am using an ADS1115(datasheet) ADC to convert sensor analog data to digital.

I am concerned about the ESD for raspberry pi so i have used a metal case for this project. Also, I am using a MEANWELL Net 35-b power supply .

Question:
I read on a blog that the simplest way to have ESD protection is to use a metal case and connect the metal case to the ground of the power supply also ground of raspberry pi and power supply are connected. Is this the correct way to protect circuit and raspberry pi?

Hi Loanrn,

Well we have no RPi images here, but all SoC face the same problem in regard to ESD.

A proper ground is certainly good but ground is relativ.

I can imagine there are other forums which care about building electronics and know much more than a OS forum..

Hi Loanrn

If you have quite a benign, electrically undisturbed environment and short distances to your sensors you might get by with properly shielded and grounded cables to your sensors. For factory floor environments and such you might want to read the ISOFACE product brief from infineon, which deals with isolating your I/O to the microcontroller.

best, gnasch

Hi, can you make a photo of your setup? It's a bit hard to discuss ESD or EMI otherwise, e.g. how is your wiring done and are cables detachable or not, can you just enclose the whole solution or is access required... etc...