Mi10 - Ethernet tethering

Giles Cotterill

Hi everyone. Just after a bit of advice before I take the plunge and boot up armbian on my Mi10 Pro. 

I'm using it currently as a modem, it's tethered to my Deco setup so its only used as a modem. 

Obviously the stock HyperOS isn't that great at having anything that is remotely useful for this purposes. So I'm hoping that Armbian could be the answer I'm looking for. 

If someone could assist/answer the following;

Is there by modem/router type software that I can use on Armbian? 

Does the 5g modem get recognised by Armbian? 

Does the USB C slot get recognised so any usb hub that I plug in will work? 

Will ethernet tethering work also? 

Sorry for the questions, I've only ever Armbian briefly on am ols S9xx box which didn't go so smoothly as it wouldn't write the emmc

Thanks in advanced. 

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

Just boot up and share your experience.

1 hour ago, Giles Cotterill said:

So I'm hoping that Armbian could be the answer I'm looking for. 

Armbian is community developed general purpose Linux distribution, very different from commercial corporation controlled HyperOS. What applies for Armbian, applies for Debian, Ubuntu, ... You can run any software you want, but this is your problem. 3rd party software is not in Armbian, Debian, Ubuntu, ... domain as we are not authors nor re-sellers of software you seek, but anything Debian / Ubuntu (router SW) will work out of the box. You can search, try to connect with people that are doing something similar in this community. I am sure you are not the only one with such idea. Software is not attached to any particular hardware. This can be run or not run on all boards with at least two network devices = most of them.

Armbian is also different for every hardware:

1 hour ago, Giles Cotterill said:

only ever Armbian briefly on am ols S9xx box which didn't go so smoothly as it wouldn't write the emmc

Armbian team never supported anything TV boxes while many people, blame us for terrible user experience on hardware we don't want to hear about. By buying trash from Aliexpress you only support shady hardware dealers that are all abusing promise of open source software to generate sales. And you subsequently forget to contribute anything for the real work. Why would you support open source development? Experience is terrible and we can not change it. We don't want to support shady hardware. They save on components, have no intention to support open source in any way and software support on randomly assembled hardware is just more expensive. Every week several new models shows up that are assembled from random components. This is nightmare to support, especially with complete absence of expenses refund.