build script FSFS root experimental build option

Based on post "http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/120-f2fs-for-rootfs/"

Can be added an optional choice to build image with F2FS root?

Ext4 filesystem is crap for microSD/SD card and should not be used with expected large writes for example when you are running a mysql database.

or

tkaiser could you please post your modified compile.sh script for this purpose?

tkaiser could you please post your modified compile.sh script for this purpose?

Nope, since all I have is my diff from back then: http://pastebin.com/hidkugaG

Please keep in mind that Igor sets a large commit interval for ext4, that you should think about using different storage than SD card if you want to do serious stuff and that F2FS is still not resizable so a general switch to it seems no good idea since you've to know the size of your installation medium prior to running the build script.

It should be quite easy to adjust Igor's current build scripts based on the infomations from the aforementioned thread (at least that was my hope and why I documented the stuff in detail).

Thank you for your reply first.

I ordered 2 sets of hdd enclosure (see link below) + Banana Pro, so I will have chance to choose better storage instead an microSD card.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20151215072412&SearchText=banana+hdd+enclosure

Non resizable system ? It is not a problem for me because most writes go to /var folder and Igor's boot stuff is not ready to live on root of separate boot folder and survive upgrades. So I think fastest option is build system with separate var on f2fs and rest of root can be left on resizeable ext4. Sizes can be for example 2GB for var and rest for root. If you want to use an desktop enviroment it is good to have /home folder on f2fs too.

Since f2fs is not resizable after the first boot it's not an option to use it as default fs for Armbian.

BTW: The enclosures you ordered are crap or at least prone to overheating. On Banana Pi/Pro everything that gets hot is on the lower side of the PCB. The vents are pretty useless. Might look nice but doesn't help at all.

I mean combination fixed sized f2fs for at least var folder plus resizeable rest of root folder.

I know about poor design of this enclosure and Banana Pro board but few heatsinks plus a fan can do. And for second there is not better solution in same price range if you want protect the board and keep all in a box. It just need stick more aluminium heatsinks from both sides of the board, an active fan cooling and some temp watching script able to lower down cpu clock or shutdown everything if fan stopped working.

I really don't see the main advantage of F2FS compared to ext4 with a commit interval of 600 seconds :)

Regarding enclosures, heatsinks and fans: If you build the enclosure correctly (standing upright, use of convection, enough airflow) then not even a heatsink might be needed at all. If you look into the LeMaker forums, then a user called cyryllo (?) built a BanaNAS case for the original Banana Pi. That's the only one that doesn't ignore thermal challenges, everything he created later does a really bad job in this area as does *every* commercially available enclosure for Banana Pi/Pro. Again: SoC and PMU, the two parts that might overheat are on the bottom side of the PCB where no airflow at all is possible with this crappy enclosures.

That's maybe the only advantage of the Banana Pi M1+ (trying to be a clone of LeMaker's Pro): There SoC and PMU are on the upper PCB side.