Flashing NAND FLash HY27UG088G with sun8i-h3 over FEL MODE

nguongnhanlb

Dear Friends,

I am new on this forum. I wonder to know that:

- if sun8i-h3 supporting to flashing a HY27UG088G Nand flash over FEL mode?

- how to add nand flash driver to mount nand flash in uboot?

I really appreciate your response.
Thank you and best regards!

Edited by nguongnhanlb

Hi Martinayotte,

Thank you for your response!

I intend to build a new platform using H3 and HY27UG088G Nand Flash and USB OTG to download firmware to Nand Flash as only main memory (like some modern smart phones). As I know that Allwinner A10 and A20 are supporting for MTD Nand. How can I make H3 support for MTD Nand? I think that H3 should support for MTD nand as manufacturer's design. http://linux-sunxi.org/Mainline_NAND_Howto

Hardware and software support are 2 different things.

A10 and A20 BSP (legacy) 3.4.x kernel has working NAND support because most of the development boards had NAND storage and there was no alternative kernel at the time.

With H3 there are no development boards (at least that are well known and popular) that use raw NAND, and the 3.4.x kernel source that we use has no in-tree NAND driver - it has an out-of-tree module with a closed source blob: https://github.com/armbian/linux/tree/sun8i/modules/nand

Mainline kernel doesn't have support for MLC NAND at all. And AFAIK most of "modern smartphones" that aren't in the low-end category use eMMC, not raw NAND.

Thank Zador!

Could you plz show me how to integrate the driver for raw NAND in uboot? I haven't work much with linux, however, like a microcontroller, H3 should controlled raw NAND as its design. So, I think I can also write program to make it supporting for raw NAND. What should I do from starting?

10 minutes ago, nguongnhanlb said:

Could you plz show me how to integrate the driver for raw NAND in uboot?

For mainline there is no "integrate", there is "write from scratch using incomplete documentation and reverse-engineering". Legacy/BSP u-boot may have NAND support already, but it was never used by us.

12 minutes ago, nguongnhanlb said:

What should I do from starting?

If you really want to use NAND, try to use the vendor's SDK (i.e. from here), it may contain u-boot sources with NAND support. Otherwise I have to say again - on this forum most developers never had any experience with NAND on H3 and most developers won't touch Allwinner SDK sources.