CIFS issues from Dev 4.14.0-rc1

Mike C

tonight as I was about to head to bed, I noticed low buzz coming from my Tinker board as if my fan was running. Sure enough it was running, I checked top and a couple processes were trying to read from the cifs share and had the cores pinned using 100%... I did some testing, I could read files from the cifs share but whatever I used would hang at the end of the file, cat, cp, etc...  I also tried almost everything, nothing fixed the issue until I rolled back my kernel from Dev (4.14.0-rc1) to Next (4.13.2) then all the problems were gone. I also noticed on the 4.14.0-rc1 kernel booting and shutdown times were much longer... at least double of whats normal, this was true with or without any cifs shares mounted. digging threw logs hasn't amounted to anything...

Anyone else running 4.14.0-rc1 having these or other issues out of the blue?

I just set up a Le Potato and am running the latest release kernel:

Linux lepotato 4.14.2-meson64 #8 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 24 19:43:01 CET 2017 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

It seems this kernel was built with very limited fs support (i.e. some I normally use: cifs and ecryptfs which have no corresponding modules under /lib/modules/../kernel/fs).  Is this related to the above, an oversight or by design?  I set up to build a kernel and am glad to help if thus would be useful but I guess it would be good to have any background associated before diving in.

Thanks in advance!