I need to load LXDE from an SD Card

Mikec

I live in the desert in California and the only Internet access I have is using PDANet on my phone.   Is there a way to build an SD Card using rufus (which is a great app by the way) that I can use to load LXDE on my Olimex Micro?   Once I get the desktop loaded I will get PDANet working on Olimex, but this seems like the lessor of two evils.  I have both Jessie and Wheezy working and I'm still running off of the SDCard's.  I have SSH working in both versions if that helps.

thanks in advance.

Mike

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

Hi mate, I do not understand what is your problem now. But forget rufus, we use dd command (see section "How to prepare SD card?" http://www.armbian.com/documentation/). If you want use desktop environment I recommend you download legacy image with Ubuntu and desktop preloaded. If you for some reason prefer Debian system log in shh terminal and type in "apt-get update -y && apt-get upgrade -y && apt-get install lxde -y", but I do not know in which state is vga/gpu driver.

My only access to the Internet is through my phone tied to my Windows laptop, and that is why I am trying to find a way to download the img on my laptop and then move the img over to my olimex with a sd or usb stick.  I found a place on line where I can download the LXDE img.  Can I just put the compressed file on a USB stick and mount it on the olimex micro and install that way, or is the install command a part of the apt-get tool?

I found it at Debian....

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/all/lxde/download

I thought what I could do was move the deb file to a USB stick, mount the stick on the micro and run dd on it.  I tried something like that, with my limited knowledge of Linux, and made a brick out of my SD, and had to rebuild the SD.  I am getting really good at building the SD Cards.....  I think that even my dog Scraps can build an SD now...  hehe

The site suggests that you use one of the apt-get packages instead of rolling your own, but I figured I would give it a shot.

I decided to give the version that I had found on debian a shot. I uncompressed the files and put them on a USB stick, and mounted the stick.  I tried to run the configure shell and it said that I needed intltool updated.  I found that and put that on the stick as well,  When I ran the intltool configure it then told me that my Parser Perl was to old or not there.  I couldn't find that file anywhere in the data structure, so I decided on a different approach.  I decided to try turning on ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on my laptop running windows, and after changing a few IP addresses, I was able to share my Internet connection from my laptop.  I downloaded LXDE at a blazing 158 bytes per second. The version that I downloaded isn't the same one that I saw on the Armbian website, and looks like the one that I got on the SD from Olimex.  I am also getting an error message that is saying "The name org.fredesktop.policykit1 was not provided by any .services files".    Not sure what that is all about, but it seems to work.  .  

"The name org.fredesktop.policykit1 was not provided by any .services files".

Hi Mikec,

I remember a similar Problem after installing LXDE on Archchlinux on a Raspberry. Am not sure but installing Policykit solved the Problem for me that times.

Try install with: 

sudo apt-get install policykit-1

If that package is not found you can search for packages with:

sudo apt-cache search policykit

Maybe that helps, happy new Year!