How to enable early KMS start with Armbian?

alexy314

Hello, My hardware is BananaPi and I would like to enable early KMS start. As per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_mode_setting#Early_KMS_start , I need to add "the display driver kernel module" to initramfs.

With a normal x86 PC, the kernel module to add would be 'i915', 'radeon' or 'nouveau'. But I'm a bit confused with the sunxi hardware. Which module am I supposed to add?

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, zador.blood.stained said:

There is no KMS driver for this hardware yet, it may be added to the mainline kernel in 3-6 months from now.

Oh, initially I didn't think of that. The resolution change midway through bootup tricked me into thinking it is KMS. So the resolution is set manually in boot.cmd and script.fex? That clears up the mystery for me. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, alexy314 said:

So the resolution is set manually in boot.cmd and script.fex?

For the legacy kernel it should be set via kernel command line (from boot.cmd or armbianEnv.txt). Mainline kernel uses simplefb driver and framebuffer is set up in u-boot (using EDID or saved environment).

While the legacy kernel will obviously never get a DRM/KMS driver, linux-next (mainline) got the driver a couple of days ago, though Banana Pi didn't get the DT bits so it will need additional patching later.

On 10/19/2017 at 11:49 PM, zador.blood.stained said:

..., linux-next (mainline) got the driver a couple of days ago, though Banana Pi didn't get the DT bits so it will need additional patching later.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation, I'm planning to build my own debian desktop image so it's good to know the mainline kernel is making great progress.