Cubietruck as RPi3 replacement

el_Salmon

Hi,

I would like to replace my Raspberry Pi 3 with an external USB where I have Gentoo Linux system to Cubietruck with Debian mainkernel in a SATA 2.5" HDD. I have some noob questions:

- I want to boot from SD card and system on SATA configuration. Can I make boot partition on SD card only-read? I want to avoid SD card filesystem corruption because of my bad experience with RPi.

- Is enough powerful to run Nextcloud? Just for two users.

- Is enough a 2A / 5V USB powersource (connect to Jack power connector)?

27 minutes ago, el_Salmon said:

Can I make boot partition on SD card only-read?

No, because there is none :)

Armbian only supports boards that do not need a separate (FAT) boot partition (like Raspberries) and so we don't implement this since useless anyway. You can use an SD card as small as 4GB, then simply move the system to HDD and are done. SD card is then by default read-only since only the bootloader will be loaded from there (though you can use the remaining capacity for whatever you want -- real SD card corruption is a 1st gen Raspberry Pi problem)

Whether Nextcloud will perform fast enough is dependent on your settings (encryption or not?) and based on our community's experience random IO performance of the storage device is important (HDDs are pretty slow here but the 'average' SD cards the majority of users bought is again 100 times slower).

BTW: I would choose a Cubietruck (or almost any other A20 device) today only if it's already lying around (since it's almost 2018, A20 is a 5 years old design now and there exist a lot more interesting boards in the meantime -- not directly related but this list might help when interested in 'server use cases')