My box won't start after kernel boot update.

rafaelSorel

Hello,

I have compiled the kernel and bootloader from:

https://github.com/150balbes/build

It generates *.deb for uboot, kernel and dtb files , i downloaded those file to my ubuntu installed os on my sd card, then I have run dpkg --install *.deb files and rebooted, when rebooted the box won't start, even the LED is not lighted !? , I have tried to make hard reset even I have removed the SD card and made a hard reset , the box won't start at all. I think when I have run the dpkg install command it wrotes the bootloaded into /dev/mmcblk0 which is I guess the internal emmc file.

Is there any thing I could do to deblock the situation.

[Edit] my box is an mxq pro 4K.

Thanks for your help,

You will have to restore u-boot in TV box using USB cable (using the firmware from the USB BurnTool regular firmware) or using the SD card with the correct u-boot. Blocking is not the right u-boot in eMMC you have to close the contacts on the chip eMMC. You recorded u-boot from another platform. You cannot use the deb package is installed with u-boot , if you are not sure what platform it was intended.

1 hour ago, rafaelSorel said:

Is there any procedure I could follow to restore the uboot, I have tried the sdcard method without a success, I will try the USB cable one, but what is the exact procedure of doing that ?

Search the Internet for a description of the contacts of the chip eMMC for your model. With the closure which blocks the use of u-boot from eMMC. Write on the SD card image Armbian and written in the first sector of the right u-boot. Connect card. Closes the contacts. The power of TV Boxing. If you do it right, will be able to run Armbian and to fully overwrite or erase the u-boot in eMMC.

Or you can use the USB cable and the program for the firmware. To turn off the power supply of the TV box. Connect the USB cable to the TV box and the PC. To start the firmware program on a PC. Select the firmware file in the program. In the program click "Start" button. To close the contacts on the chip. After a few seconds, should come firmware.

@balbes150: Well after the brick of my box, I just wanted to understand what happens, when running those commands:

dpkg --install linux-dtb-amlogics905x_5.37_arm64.deb
dpkg --install linux-image-amlogics905x_5.37_arm64.deb
dpkg --install linux-u-boot-amlogic-s905x_5.37_arm64.deb

Knowing that I am running my ubuntu server image on an external SD card ?

Thanks,

53 minutes ago, rafaelSorel said:

Ok than i need to perform the install process each time outside on the SD and plug it to the tvbox onece done ?

Installation\upgrade u-boot on the SD card need to perform on a PC with Linux or on TV box, in the manual using the dd command. Or use a special script, in the parameters which specify the install location (SD card or eMMC).

On 15.12.2017 at 11:56 AM, balbes150 said:

Or use a special script, in the parameters which specify the install location (SD card or eMMC).

Different box, similar issue:

• Device: Sunvell R69
  • installed on eMMC via armbian-config
test@sunvell:~/kernel-debs/video$ sudo dpkg -i linux-u-boot-next-sunvell-r69_5.37_armhf.deb
(Reading database ... 55050 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack linux-u-boot-next-sunvell-r69_5.37_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking linux-u-boot-sunvell-r69-next (5.37) over (5.37) ...
Setting up linux-u-boot-sunvell-r69-next (5.37) ...
Device /dev/mmcblk0 does not exist, skipping

/dev/mmcblck0 indeed does not exist, one the SD-card is removed:

test@sunvell:~/kernel-debs/video$ ll /dev/mm*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179,  0 Dec 17 11:23 /dev/mmcblk1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179,  8 Dec 17 11:23 /dev/mmcblk1boot0
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179, 16 Dec 17 11:23 /dev/mmcblk1boot1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 179,  1 Dec 17 11:23 /dev/mmcblk1p1

So ... Any idea to solve this?

19 hours ago, rafaelSorel said:

You want to install the uboot on sd card or internal emmc ?

The idea is to install "linux-u-boot-next-sunvell-r69_5.37_armhf.deb" to emmc.

Install via dpkg gives:

Device /dev/mmcblk0 does not exist, skipping

6 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Or to alter the deb (change the install script) , or you can pull the files and install manually.

Yeah, nah, don't think I got that ... :mellow: Could you a bit more specific?

1. option. Assemble your own version of a deb package in which to change the script that copies the u-boot. To change the name of /dev/mmcblk0 /dev/mmcblk1 is.

2. option. To start the system from external media and in the manual (using the command dd if=u-boot.bin of=/dev/mmcblk1 is ) to write the desired loader.

But I warn you, if you use the wrong u-boot, you will receive a brick that will have to be restored.