Make a custom armbian version for school with orange PiPC+ : debian or ubuntu ?

Ucino

Hello,

I'm following this project :

I was recently spending time on the activities to do with children, 3D printing and robotics, and in order to be able to try to follow https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/ i have bought a new laptop which respect the requirements (SSD, ram...).

So now my next goal is to try to make a custom version of armbian dedicated to the schools. To start, for the first step, I would like to try make a localized version of armbian in French by default, in order to be more easier for the French speaking user.

With the new evolutions of armbian for OrangePiPC+, there is an ubuntu desktop version, and now a Debian version (thanks for the armbian team for these improvements).

I would like to know if there is recommendations, pros and cons for choosing ubuntu or Debian.

The context that can maybe have an impact on the choice could be :

- the compatibility with VGA screen (as it's for schools lot of old screen are used) ;

- the computer will be used for 3D activities (blender, openscad...) ;

- I have never made a compilation of an OS (but I'm motivate to learn it with the armbian doc).

Is there any advice to choose ubuntu legacy or Debian stretch ?

Thanks,

Best regards

I have made some tests on OrangePi PC+ with :

* Armbian_5.38_Orangepipcplus_Ubuntu_xenial_default_3.4.113_desktop

* Armbian_5.38_Orangepipcplus_Debian_stretch_next_4.14.14_desktop

For the moment I will choose Debian, for this reasons with my tests:

* the policies of the debian project ;

* launching for the fist time debian, there is no need to run the screen sizing tool and reboot, and Ubuntu nned it, so it's more KISS for non geek users;

* launching for the fist time debian, there is no need to adjust horizontally and vertically the screen, ubuntu need it;

* tested on 2 VGA screen with distinct resolutions, debian desktop was displayed perfectly, and ubuntu desktop not (it was resized).

This new debian version for OpiPC+ is really a big improvement for the project for schools. It seems that there is nothing to do with the screen resolutions, it will be very much easier to deploy in schools for non geek user, thanks a lot to the armbian team!