poor mpv performance out of the box on Cubieboard 2

broodwich82

Hey folks, I'm trying to play back a couple test files, H.264, 720p. These play without dropping frames on the stock Android ROM for a little while but then freeze, seemingly on certain keyframes? It's always in the same place. Anyway, I tried playing them with mpv on Armbian 5.38 desktop install and it drops frames like crazy. I know the stock Android ROM can play back Youtube content (in the app) without dropping frames - it seems like this should be doable based on what I understand about the capabilities of the A20 and on hardware support in the legacy kernel in the Armbian image ... is there tuning I should be doing? Or options for mpv that I can try? I've used VLC for years and am not really used to other players.

I'm hoping to use this box to watch 720p content, youtube, and run quod libet to listen to music. Any tuning tips would be appreciated. So far I'm just running off SD card but I have a disk I might be able to throw on it.

It should work good enough with the legacy kernel and preinstalled mpv, check its limitation. There is no video acceleration within a web browser - you need to use some 3rd party application. Video playing and mainline kernel. It has to be developed first. Implementation on Allwinner boards is expected to happen this summer/autumn.

Thanks! Yeah, I saw about the crowdfunded effort to bring it to mainline - very exciting. I'll try with a few different video sources to see if it's a problem with the specific ones I'm trying, maybe they are encoded at too high a profile or something... they're 720p, x264, a bit over a GB for 45 minutes of video, that's all the detail I've got so far.