The future of Armbian -vs- Raspbian

unoboard

Hello,

I am wondering if someday tutorials will be made available for ones who like the idea of using single board computers for projects, but have not learned to write their own code. Raspberry has an overabundance of people sharing what they have created [this for example  https://tutorials-raspberrypi.com/setup-raspberry-pi-node-js-webserver-control-gpios/]

I have made use of what I have searched and found to make my website again [my site], but  at least for the computer hosting my relay interface I want to use better boards with more RAM. Should I learn to write some code and get the satisfaction of making it work by myself or should I wait for a future Armbian wave to catch? Right now my goal is to have a web interface (not so much Python) control the GPIO pins on my ROCK64 that control this http://www.microcenter.com/product/437843/4_Relays_Raspberry_Pi_Plate_Shield.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, unoboard said:

Raspberry has an overabundance of people sharing what they have created

There you go: https://forum.armbian.com/forum/26-research-guides-tutorials/

8 minutes ago, unoboard said:

Should I learn to write some code and get the satisfaction of making it work by myself or should I wait for a future Armbian wave to catch?

It might be unlikely that someone create something that fulfills exactly your needs until you pay him to do the job.. So having a basic background of 'what the code does' and how you can adjust it to your needs might be helpful to speed up things... 

The project you mentioned uses npm rpio, which is furthermore based on gpiomem (rootless mem access for GPIO pins), something armbian hasn't implemented (only for testings on the tinkerboard). This would need for sure a lot of adjustments before it works on your board. 

Thanks,

I have my sights set on another board not released just yet. It will support Debian Stretch. Will that work with my favorite web interface or will I run into the same issue I am having now? I use Stretch with my Raspberry(s) now. I suspect it is the links between the hardware and software that is missing when I can't get it to work. N1

Any suggestions where I should start to learn how to make something work for me? I prefer the above interface over a Python web interface offered with the relay array. Years ago Java was used with a Windows PC to work the relays. Is that some kind of option with Linux?

1 hour ago, unoboard said:

Should I learn to write some code and get the satisfaction of making it work by myself or should I wait for a future Armbian wave to catch

The raspberry Pi community is so strong because no one initially waited for others to do it for them, it's kind of a chicken and egg problem.  A solid community and repository of knowledge brings in users, but it takes users to create such a community and repository of knowledge.  :)