berturion

Hello,

Environment :

Cubieboard2 Linux 4.4.1-sunxi #10
Rootfs on 16Go SDCard Sandisk Ultra
Systemctl (disabled ramlog)
Hauppauge Nova-TD Stick plugged on a D-Link DUB-H4

Every time I boot my Cubieboard2, dmsg shows me:

[    6.082976] dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-TD Stick (52009)' in warm state.
[    6.083915] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
[    6.709580] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
[    6.712670] dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-TD Stick (52009) error while loading driver (-12)
[    6.712895] usbcore: registered new interface driver dvb_usb_dib0700

If I unplug and then re-plug the same stick, driver is loaded successfully :

[11834.148245] dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-TD Stick (52009)' in cold state, will try to load a firmware
[11834.153648] dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw'
[11834.865659] dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-TD Stick (52009)' in warm state.
[11834.866459] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
[11835.332773] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
[11835.775842] dvb-usb: could not initialize remote control.
[11835.775908] dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-TD Stick (52009) successfully initialized and connected.

The problem is that I power off my board every night (cron job) and It powers up every morning. So, I have to unplug and re-plug my stick every morning in order to use VDR.

I tried to use a program "usbreset" to do this. But the driver is not loaded with this method.

Could you help me diagnose the problem and maybe find a solution or a workaround ?

or a workaround ?

This would be the use of sunxi-pio if USB power on your Cubieboard can be controlled (example but that's for legacy kernel -- no idea if it works with mainline and you've to adjust pin number/description)

Regarding a solution I would look for timing problems if it happens on every reboot (eg. blacklisting the device and adjust that by a script to load it later with 20 seconds delay or something like that)

Blacklisting and modprobe seem to be a good idea, I will try to do that, thanks. I will let you know if that works.

EDIT :

I created a file in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-dvb.conf and inserted 'blacklist dvb_usb_dib0700'

After reboot, I can see that there is no dvb entry in dmesg, so this works.

The problem is that if I run 'modprobe dvb_usb_dib0700' and looking at syslog, I have the same "error while loading driver (-12)".

For now, the only way for me to have this stick working is to physically unplug it and re-plug it. I just checked again.

Also, when I do that, there is a line "downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw'" that is not present when error occurs.

EDIT2 :

It seems to be related to the "state" of the stick : "cold|warm". When the state is "warm", the firmware is not downloaded and the error occurs. The sate is always "warm" at boot. Maybe it is because the stick is attached to a powered usb hub. I will try to plug it in a native cubieboard2 usb port.

It was indeed the problem. The dvb usb stick MUST be plugged in a port directly on the cubieboard and not through a powered usb hub.

Though, it can cause problem with power supply. I hope not.

If I had a good solution to force downloading the firmware even when the stick is in "warm" state, I would use it...

I said victory to soon. My cubieboard doesn't want to boot with the dvb stick attached to it.

I have to find a way to force "cold" state or force downloading the firmware, I don't know how yet.

EDIT :

I think my dvb usb stick asks for too much power and prevent my cubieboard2 to boot.

If I could disable the power of the specific usb port where the stick is attached during the boot sequence and enable it later, that could resolve the issue.

Indeed, when I plug the stick once the cubieboard has booted, there is no problem.

Hi,

I'm having an odroid system with an powered usb hub for an usb hdd and connected nova td directly to the odroid.

I had the same error message after I replaced the powered usb hub with a newer one as a try to solve another problem (it was not the cause..).

In my case it seems that the new powered usb hub gives power to the odroid, because the leds were still on after I plugged of the power supply of the odroid!!

After I replaced the powered usb hub with the old one, the problem was solved.

So plugging of the usb hub temporary with having the nova connected directly and do a restart may be worth to see if it is the same problem.