Armbian wiki

Nick

Is it worth starting an Armbian wiki?

It seems that for questions such as how do I write the raw file to an SD card, how do I disable LEDs on my whicheverPi, why doesn't my orange pi pc boot this work in progress image ;) and so forth could be answered there.

Hopefully it would reduce the Forum traffic for such things, but also when they do pop up a simple one line response with the wiki link is all that's required.

I realise that there is the Armbian documentation, which is great, but only really covers how to use Armbian to build images. Equally there is gold mine of information in the forum, but it's sometimes buried a few pages deep or only comes to the surface with a particular search string. It sometimes takes me a while to find my own posts and I at least know that they are there.

If the wiki did go ahead then I see the forum as a discussion place, solving problems discussing new boards etc. with all of the noise that goes with it, with the wiki presenting a polished concise answer to most questions.

A while ago (before I even knew about Armbian) I started a banana pi wiki here https://bananapi.widgethub.co.uk/ but it never went very far, partly because it didn't have the visitor traffic to warrant putting the work in.

In the short term at least I would be happy to start writing some of the articles and getting the basic structure together, as long as it has the backing of everyone else.

On the flip side, there is already a wiki at sunxi. Personally I find the linux-sunxi site a little hard to navigate, but equally there is alot of information there so simply coming up with a duplicate of that doesn't see like a good use of resources.

Any thoughts?

IMHO - wikis are a great thing to have, but can be very time consuming to setup with agreed formats, images, page layouts etc. then there is the pre-population of the wiki itself.

I don't wish to appear down on the idea, in fact if there was one, i volunteer to assist, just trying to make people aware of the initial overhead associated with creating and maintaining a wiki

WIKI - GOOD!