made some progress with the NanoPC-T4 today

jerryn

I've got bluetooth working flawlessly.  OpenGL works fine,  Plex Media Server works , SONICC, RADARR all performed well,  I built the latest and greatest Plex Media Player.  A attempted to get VDPAU acceleration working.  I'm running the nightly build with the nanopc-t4 overlay.  Just about everything works.

video playback works with GL accelleration but VDPAU is needed for mkv files.   

I installed the vdpau mesa support,   and tried the libvdpau-sunxi1 driver.    Is there anyone else working on something similar  ?

vdpauinfo

display: :0.0   screen: 0
Error creating VDPAU device: 25

I still have some work to do.   The score was only 24.   But I was compiling away on the box all day.   I've got a 240GB NVMe on it so developing code on that board isn't too bad at all. I built the latest Plex Media Player, The latest MPV..

and experimenting with the Mali GPU Open Source kit.   It's too bad that that the Full Mali Development kit is closed.  I bought this board because it has a Mali T860, but I can't take full advantage of it. What a bummer.

I'm Actually pulling Panfrost from GIT.  I really don't want to work with code that's not 100% opensource.  It appears that Panfrost and MPP is ready to use.  I'll update the forum with my progress.    

I understand that the NanoPC-T4 is a work in progress.  Is there a timeline for each board posted, or at least a dashboard where I can see if I'm not duplicating work ?

Here's the reason why Video Acceleration is as fast as it can be:

3279.942] (II) glamor: EGL version 1.4 (DRI2):
[  3279.942] EGL_MESA_drm_image required.
[  3279.944] (EE) modeset(0): glamor initialization failed

I am running the nightly release, I did and apt update, upgrade.   I just see midgarud_base.ko loaded.  Apprently there are no xorg DRM modules available.  

It's a WIP so.. possibly it will be available soon.   I'm going to install FriendlyARM's Bionic Beaver to see how that is.  I'll post what I find.

2 hours ago, jerryn said:

The score was only 24

It is a bit low.

Don't you worry about the 100% source code, if you want the source code for mali you have to pay... and i guess it is not cheap.

Rockchip has gone really nice on VPU and GPU. I think Allwinner should follow this path and give better support for VPU and mali.

There is already support for VPU and mali from Rockchip on linux.

Usually mali fbdev is 20 ~ 30% faster than mali X11 (don't know about Wayland) but there is an RK3399 board that claims a score of 58 (very good indeed, though i don't know which window size possibly Full HD)).

Can you tell what kernel version on your build?

I tested with the FriendlyARM Linux 18.04 image.  glmark2-es scored a 54, but VPAU does not work.

I'm reinstalling Armbian Nightly now.   I'll configure for fbdev.  So you point me to the documentation for Rockport VPU configuration ?

The latest Rockchip RK3399 Kernel posted in github does not build properly.  Duplicate Declarations.. lots of code to fix.  

If you want to get your hands dirty i can give you briefly the steps if i recall correctly (it works on NanoPi M4, so should work on NanoPi-T4) but unfortunately, i did not take note:

a) encode/decode is done by gstreamer (decoding by mvp)

install gstreamer (if not already installed)

sudo apt-get install libgstreamer1.0-0 gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0- libav gstreamer1.0-doc gstreamer1.0-tools

b) clone https://github.com/rockchip-linux/mpp , build and install it (install dependencies fisrt)

cmake -DRKPLATFORM=ON -DHAVE_DRM=ON && make

sudo make install

c) clone gstreamer-rockchip (i can't remember if i did for the -extra also)

git clone https://github.com/rockchip-linux/gstreamer-rockchip.git
cd gstreamer-rockchip
./autogen.sh --disable-rkximage
make
sudo make install

sudo ldconfig

git clone https://github.com/rockchip-linux/gstreamer-rockchip-extra

make clean
./autogen.sh 
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

d) check if the plugins are then installed correctly

gst-inspect-1.0|grep 4l2
gst-inspect-1.0|grep rkcamsrc

gst-inspect-1.0 | grep rk
gst-inspect-1.0 rkximage
gst-inspect-1.0 rkv4l2

You will need libdrm-dev and some other dependencies i can't remember.

This steps should work on any RK3399.

Have fun.

Edited by @lex
extra

When I get a change I need to edit the systemd script.    For now I created a startbluetooth script in /usr/local/bin

#!/bin/bash
rfkill unblock bluetooth
hciattach /dev/ttyS0 bcm43xx

I added the script to my XFCE4 startup scripts.

The right way to do it is update the systemd script that brings up bluetooth.    I've just been so busy trying to get VPU working.    

I couldn't build gstreamer-rockport-extra

CC       libgstrkximage_la-rkx_kmsutils.lo
rkx_kmsutils.c:41:5: error: ‘DRM_FORMAT_NV12_10’ undeclared here (not in a function); did you mean ‘DRM_FORMAT_NV12’?
   { DRM_FORMAT_##fourcc,GST_VIDEO_FORMAT_##fmt }

I have libdrm-dev installed.    Do you know what header file I need ?

ok.. gstreamer with mpp support worked for 20 seconds!  Video was smooth and then ioctl errors followed by a segfault. I was testing with the nightly build 

I switched to the development kernel and KABOOM NVME root was not mounted.  

I attempted to boot off an install sd , mount the emmc and nvme and do a chroot, roll the kernel back.   Didn't work.

I am installing again with the stable kernel, armbinan 5.65 now to get a working board before I quit for the night.

MPP with a gstreamer vaapi plugin, test with gst123 and a mkv video file worked for 20 seconds.   Invalid ioctl command follwed by a segfault.  When it worked the video was good!

Figured out what caused the segfault.  gst123 now plays mkv files at 1080p.   The apt-update/apt-upgrade appears to have broken bluetooth.

Before the update the video was playing , audio through a bluetooth speaker.  The audio was out of sync.. I'll try a anduse and audio cable.

Bluetooth .. I am looking at kern.log now to figure out what's going on.