Problem after updates

aristide

Hi,

In december, I was able to install a working system to nand (boot from nand, system on sata), but didn't have the nessery time to finish the configuration.

Today I rebooted my cubietruck for the first time since then, and tried updating all the installed packages with 'apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade'.

One of the updates (an important one, see below) failed with the following error:

Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-sun7i_5.00_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-sun7i (5.00) over (4.81) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-trusty-root-cubietruck_5.00_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking linux-trusty-root-cubietruck (5.00) over (4.70) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-trusty-root-cubietruck_5.00_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 unable to make backup link of `./boot/bin/cubieboard.bin' before installing new version: Operation not permitted
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

and:

Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-trusty-root-cubietruck_5.00_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Confident as I am, I rebooted the device. Unfortunately, it does not come up as expected.

I still have the SD-card used for the install in december (and can boot the cubietruck with it), so I could start from scratch again. But may be there is something I could do to "save" the NAND/SATA installation.

Sorry if a solution to this problem has already been posted, I didn't find one.

Thanks and regards

Yann

Replaying to myself.

I bought a cable to see the output of the serial console to see what was happening (or not :)) on the cubietruck after the failed install.

Thanks to this thread

http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/690-upgrade-error-with-armbian-500-on-cubieboard2-running-from-nand/

I found out, that the upgrade of the kernel failed to create a 'uImage' file on the '/boot' partition and could reboot my cubietruck from NAND.

Now it is stucked again.

Output of the boot process, short before it gets stucked:

<6>NET: Registered protocol family 31
<6>Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
<6>Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
<6>Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
<6>Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
<6>Bluetooth: HCI UART driver ver 2.2
<6>Bluetooth: HCI H4 protocol initialized
<6>Bluetooth: HCI BCSP protocol initialized
<6>Bluetooth: HCILL protocol initialized
<6>Bluetooth: HCIATH3K protocol initialized
<6>Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
<6>Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
<6>Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
<6>Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface Emulation) ver 1.2
<6>input: sunxi-ir as /devices/virtual/input/input1
MIR Initial OK

I guess the ir-stuff was updated and went wrong. I don't know if it's related, but before the upgrade, I disabled 'lirc' on my device.

Is there a way to 'repair' this ?

The device is supposed to boot from NAND and '/' is on '/dev/sda1'. I can mount '/dev/sda1' if I boot from sdcard.

Thanks in advance and regards

Yann

I don't know how to change loglevel to 9. Is there a "howto" somewhere ? I guess the console is already at serial ttyS0,115200, as I can connect with GTKScreen.

Currently, I can't copy/paste the output in a "readable" way (bad encoding) and will try on monday again.

If you boot from NAND, than check uEnv.txt file, located in /boot. If you boot from SD card, than mount first NAND partition under /boot ... Make sure it's /dev/nand1

extraargs=console="tty1 hdmi.audio=EDID:0 disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:0 consoleblank=0 loglevel=1"

Change loglevel=1 to loglevel=9 and make sure console=ttyS0,115200

power off, remove SD and try to boot from NAND. Paste bootlog from serial console here.

It should be like this. Make sure you fixed quotes too. They were wrong too.

extraargs="console=ttyS0,115200 hdmi.audio=EDID:0 disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:0 consoleblank=0 loglevel=9"

Everything looks o.k. but IR. Strange ... if you have made modifications to IR system this can be the reason, other reason is file-system corruption. Try to check root fs at hard drive with fsck.

I have run fsck on the root fs, it is clean.

I hade disabled the 'lirc' daemon by creating the file '/etc/init/lirc.override' (because it reacted to the remote of my tv, which I didn't want :)), but no other modification to IR system.

I have deleted the file to re-enable 'lirc', but with no success. By doing this, I remembered that modules could be disabled too, so I tried to disable some modules in the file '/etc/modules', and then '/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf', with no success (sometimes, it hangs at another point, but it still hangs :angry:).

I guess I have to update my "sdcard-install" and move it to NAND again (I can save an image of my working sdcard in case the update would fail too).

Thank you again for your help. I will report back when I am done with the above.

Lately, I had time to try again.

I made a backup of the booting sdcard, and then 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade' with it.

Then a backup again and install to nand (boot from nand, root-fs on sata). All went fine, so I cross my fingers and am going on with the wished configuration of my cubietruck.

Thank you very much Igor for all your help and your work with Armbian.