NicoD

Atomic Pi X86 SBC for $34/Anyone from US who ordered one?

Hi all.
There's a new X86 board, the Atomic Pi. It's still a Kickstarter campaign, and they only deliver to the US.

Specs

SoC – Intel Atom x5-Z8350 quad core processor @ up to 1.92GHz with Intel HD graphics
    System Memory – 2GB DDR3L-1600
    Storage – 16GB eMMC flash, slot for SD expansion up to 256GB
    Video Output – HDMI port
    Connectivity
        Gigabit Ethernet via Realtek RTL8111G transceiver
        Dual band 802.11b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 via RT5572 with IPX connectors on board
        Bluetooth 4.0 via CSR8510
    USB – USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports
    Sensor – 9-axis inertial navigation sensor with compass (BNO055)
    Expansion – JST style connectors and a 26-pin header for power & GPIO
    Debugging – TTL serial debug and expansion serial ports up to 3.6Mbps
    Misc – Real time clock & battery
    Power Supply – 5V/4A recommended. 4-15 watts typ. power consumption
    Dimensions – 130 x 100 x 50 mm

Anyone from the US who has ordered one?
There isn't much info to find on it. I even can't find a picture of the back side.
I think it'll only be able to have a display resolution of up to 1080p. (specs intel z8350)
There doesn't seem to be a power connector. I think it is powered with gpio's. "Power / GPIO / Fast Serial - Via 26 pin main board connector"

It's a weird board, but still interesting. If anybody has more info on it, please let me know.

Some more info.
https://www.digital-loggers.com/api.html

3 hours ago, NicoD said:

It's a weird board, but still interesting. If anybody has more info on it, please let me know.

At $34USD, they must be selling close to BOM price - the SoC itself is $21 tray price, add in the 16GB eMMC and 2GB DDR2, along with the ethernet and wifi (btw, the WiFi and BT are on the board, not in a SIP, so that's a lot more time and money for FCC certs)...

I worry that cost of goods (BOM plus manufacturing plus packaging/distribution along with amortizing out the NRE for development and certification) is higher than what they've priced the board at.

There's a reason why the x86 based SBC's (UP board, Udoo, Minnowboard) are the price they are, and that's because they have to be to break even with a bit of margin for profit...

besides, the Intel Atom Z-series* is pretty slow (even for an Atom) - I'm thinking the RK3288 Rockchip boards would beat up on this board...

* I have an older HP Stream 7 tablet that used the previous gen (Baytrail) Z chip - and it's barely usable under Win10, and Braswell, which on 14nm, it's pretty much clock for clock with Baytrail - it was a die shrink, not an IPC improvement.

3 hours ago, sfx2000 said:

At $34USD, they must be selling close to BOM price - the SoC itself is $21 tray price, add in the 16GB eMMC and 2GB DDR2, along with the ethernet and wifi (btw, the WiFi and BT are on the board, not in a SIP, so that's a lot more time and money for FCC certs)...

Exactly what I was thinking.
I think the price will rise after the KS campagne. I think I`ve seen $79 somewhere. That seems a reasonable price.

3 hours ago, sfx2000 said:

besides, the Intel Atom Z-series* is pretty slow (even for an Atom) - I'm thinking the RK3288 Rockchip boards would beat up on this board...

But my Tinker can`t run x86(except DOSBox). At the same price or cheaper than the Tinker.

Could be this is for some industrial task, and they sell it for testing. Can`t see another reason why not to have a power jack. It`s going to be powered by a hat. Bit strange that the power is female on the underside of the board.
I wished I could order one, for that I can miss $34.

20 minutes ago, NicoD said:

But my Tinker can`t run x86(except DOSBox). At the same price or cheaper than the Tinker.

Could be this is for some industrial task, and they sell it for testing. Can`t see another reason why not to have a power jack. It`s going to be powered by a hat. Bit strange that the power is female on the underside of the board.
I wished I could order one, for that I can miss $34.

Take your chances perhaps.... fast ARMv7 vs. a very limited x86... and there are a fair amount of fast armv8's starting to show up in the SBC space...

Nothing against the team - but seriously... nice board, bad pricing...