Is it possible to compile just a single driver/module? (tv.ko)

I'm trying to compile the tv.ko driver for the NanoPi M1 (to see if I can bake overscan compensation into it).

First I compiled the whole of Armbian to see if I can produce the .ko in such a roundabout way, but besides being a very dumb/slow way of going about it, I can't find any file called "tv.ko" after running all of that (it probably gets cleaned up).

Short of mounting the generated Armbian image manually and extracting tv.ko, is there a way to compile just the driver?

It normally sits at:

/lib/modules/3.4.112-sun8i/kernel/drivers/video/sunxi/disp2/tv/tv.ko

And sources for it are under:

sources/linux-sun8i/sun8i/drivers/video/sunxi/disp2/tv/

The modinfo is:

filename:       /lib/modules/3.4.112-sun8i/kernel/drivers/video/sunxi/disp2/tv/tv.ko
alias:          platform:tv
license:        GPL
description:    tv driver
author:         zengqi
depends:
intree:         Y
vermagic:       3.4.112-sun8i SMP preempt mod_unload modversions ARMv7 p2v8
I tried to insmod "tv.o" but that's not it... (yes, I have no idea what I'm doing)

Thanks. I did manage to get drivers/video/sunxi/disp2/tv/tv.ko to compile, through compiling the whole thing.

Still, it takes a lot of time because it really is compiling everything. So I spent a few moments each day looking at how to just compile the driver.

Is it even possible to just compile one driver? I ask this because maybe I shouldn't be trying to do it. (The toolchain patches stuff on the fly and does so many things... it is amazing but at the same time something I'm not used to).

Also, wanted to add that compiling the tv.ko module works, but I get

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'tv': Exec format error

Which is strange because modprobe --force works, the module can be compiled and made to work.

Is it some sort of signature thing where I should add a permission somewhere? (I just replaced the file at /lib/modules/3.4.112-sun8i/kernel/drivers/video/sunxi/disp2/tv/tv.ko - I can't seem to make it load just like that with /etc/modules though)

What Igor meant is that in newer version of Armbian TV driver is hardcoded into kernel and it is not module anymore. This means that it should work by changing only script.bin. I don't think you can properly load driver as a module if same driver is part of the kernel.

What Igor meant is that in newer version of Armbian TV driver is hardcoded into kernel and it is not module anymore. This means that it should work by changing only script.bin. I don't think you can properly load driver as a module if same driver is part of the kernel.

But the image I'm using (Armbian_5.20_Nanopim1_Debian_jessie_3.4.112_desktop.img) has the driver as a module, so that was a recent change right?

(I wonder if even if I edit a module and somehow get it to load without modprobe --force, will it get superseded by a dist-upgrade?)

Thanks for the reply either way.

Unfortunately, you need to compile your own kernel if you want to play around here.

I'm willing to accept that, but there's just one thing I'm not understanding. When apt-get updates the kernel, it doesn't update every module, right? tv.ko and the other .kos would remain untouched and still work, is this correct?

(I'm asking this because I presume compiling my own kernel means I won't be able to rely on apt-get for updates after that)

I'm willing to accept that, but there's just one thing I'm not understanding. When apt-get updates the kernel, it doesn't update every module, right? tv.ko and the other .kos would remain untouched and still work, is this correct?

(I'm asking this because I presume compiling my own kernel means I won't be able to rely on apt-get for updates after that)

Yes, it updates / overwrites modules too.

If changes you made are generally useful, push then upstream and let others enjoy too and you don't need to worry about this.

I am sure it's possible to compile a kernel module :wacko:

apt-get -y install git git clone

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib --depth 1

cp lib/compile.sh .

./compile.sh

On a hosted webserver it works perfectly !!!!! (not behind a proxy)

So, all is ok for me at this step :D

The patch I need :

https://github.com/igorpecovnik/lib/blob/master/patch/kernel/sun7i-default/0050-lircgpio_and_raw.patch

And now I see that I've lost some buildroot knowledges....

Is there an apply-patch.sh ? May I put the patch in ~/crosscompile/userpatches ?