3 3
xaduha

research Since Tanix TX6 can boot from the SD card

@hexdump that should be working tree. Albeit I didn't test exactly this branch, from what I can see, it has all patches that are needed. Did you include mdio and emac node in Tanix TX6 DT?

@jernej - yes i had mdio and emac in my dtb. i'll just try to compile a kernel from your tree then tomorrow and will let you know then. have to leave now ...

@jernej - your libreelec image works with ethernet :)- i'm right now checking out your kernel tree and will build a kernel from this and if this works can look at the differences to the tree i used ...

@jernej - your libreelec image works with ethernet :)- i'm right now checking out your kernel tree and will build a kernel from this and if this works can look at the differences to the tree i used ...

@hexdump try with CONFIG_DWMAC_SUN8I=m Currently unsolved issue is that you have to make sure that AC200 EPHY driver initializes before network driver. With making network driver a module, and AC200 built-in, you make sure that this is the case.

@jernej - with that it works fine ... i just compared the ac200.* files from my patched megous tree with the ones from your tree and there were slight differences - can it be that you force pushed a new version a bit later than i took the patch from you? retrying the megous tree with the ac200.* files from your current trree now ...

@hexdump Yes, I force pushed minutes ago. I added a fix which always resets AC200 before first usage. This fixes the bug with non-working network after reboot.

a little update: @jernej - with the changes from your latest tree (after the force push) now it also works well if applied to the megous tree - i assume, that maybe beforehand the tree was not pushed completely (?) ... this way i now have it running on my qplus h6 tv box with ethernet, frequency scaling up to 1.8 ghz and thermal sensor values in /sys/class/thermal :)

@balbes150 - maybe its time to start your armbian image build machinery to spin a test image ... in case you are interested: i used the orange-pi-5.2 branch of this tree: https://github.com/megous/linux containing a lot of h6 patches already and applied the below attached patch to add the ethernet support from jernej and some dummy regulator to get the frequency scaling working. there are two dtb's included: sun50i-h6-qplus.dts - it has everything required for ethernet and frequency scaling and sun50i-h6-tanix-tx6.dts - it is the dtb from jernej and does not have frequency scaling enabled (no cpu voltage defined - not sure if it even works with the below patched tree). it looks like all h6 tv box hardware is very similar, so the qplus dtb should work fine on the tanix tx6 and other boxes as well.

it is important to add some proper active cooling when more load is put onto the cpu (running it in the tv box without additional cooling will result in overheating and a hanging system after some time with medium to high load). an alternative is to disable cpu cores via "echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/online" - this way it should be possible to run it with 2 cores in the box and thermal throttling will handle the warming, with more cores throttling might not be strong enough to really cool down the cpu on high load as there is no voltage scaling. properly actively cooled it will run well with full load on all 4 cores at 1.8 ghz without throttling.

h6-tv-box-eth-qplus-tanix.patch config.ah6-5.2.0-meg-ah6+

@jernej - i guess active cooling would be best - @balbes150 has some good notes here:

i did attach this passive heat sink: https://www.ebay.de/itm/CPU-BGA-Chipsatz-Kühlkörper-passiv-Aluminium-50-x-55-mm-z-B-INTEL/312685159616 to the original heat sink (just clamped it upside down to it) - this way i could run with 4 cores, but it throttled down to about half speed after a while - no overheating though - active cooling (with fan) should be much better - the seller of the above heat sink has a cheap one of similar size with fan as well ...

i finally made some pictures of my cooling solution - this time on a mx10 pro 6k, which works fine with the above patch and dtb as well (except the usb 3 port was not working, but i guess this can be solved with some dtb magic) including ethernet, frequency scaling and thermal sensor. in case someone else has this box too, i would be interested to know if anyone got a serial console working as there are no obvious connectors visible. it looks like under the heat sink there are some contact points, which might be accessible with the heat sink removed, but i'm not sure if those are really serial console contact points (at least on a rockchip 3328 mx10 the serial console connection was right there).

while i had the box cooled well like this i ran sbc-bench and the results can be seem here: http://ix.io/1OQb - to me they are not really looking that bad - for instance the 7zip performance is just about 15-20% below that of the new and powerful raspberry pi 4b! so looks like those h6 boxes are a good choice if you want some cheap (i got both the qplus and the mx10 pro 6k for 33 and 31 euro including relatively fast shipping here from germany) and well performing little linux systems - at least when the h6 support in mainline has martured a bit.

best wishes - hexdump

h6-cooling-01.jpg

h6-cooling-02.jpg

3 3