Which OS?

m00se

I have an Odroid HC2 that will be used as a NAS. I plan to run Ubuntu 18.04, which I can get in either Hardkernel or Armbian flavor. Is there a practical difference between them? Is there a reason to choose one over the other?

Just now, m00se said:

Is there a reason to choose one over the other?

well.. you probably get answers which are in favor of armbian on armbians forum.. :D

Just now, m00se said:

I have an Odroid HC2 that will be used as a NAS.

I would go for Debian and install omv. either via armbian-config or directly download the OMV image (which is based on armbian):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openmediavault/files/OMV 4.x for Single Board Computers/

I use it on my HC1 since beginning with it and it works quite well. Never tried Hardkernels images.. so I can't say much about them. Kernelwise both are based on HKs 4.14 kernel.. except a few patches, there won't be much a difference.. Userspace might differ.. don't know how HK crafts their images.

Thank you, chwe. OMV was the first OS I tried and if a NAS was all this server was going to do I would have kept it. I also run Pihole, Stubby, rclone (sync to gdrive), and LibreNMS. I might be able to make it all work under OMV, but I'm concerned about updates breaking it. I currently run all of this on a SuperMicro Atom server running Ubuntu 18.04 that the HC2 will be replacing.

As a side note, I'm bringing the harddrive over from the Atom. I'm going to attempt to remove one LVM partition, shrink the PV to allow room for / and swap as physical partitions, and then mount the remaining LVM partition where my data lives. It worked on a test drive, and I have a backup. That was another reason not to use OMV - mounting the harddrive was going to force a format - not sure if I could mount the LVM partition from the command line and get OMV to _not_ nuke it.

I asked a similar question on the hardkernel forum and so far no one has given a real answer to which OS I should choose.

1 hour ago, m00se said:

I also run Pihole, Stubby, rclone (sync to gdrive), and LibreNMS. I might be able to make it all work under OMV

OMV is bulky and changes OS in many areas, runs only with Debian. Running anything complex within will make troubles. Regardless of used hardware. Use some sort of virtualisation/containerisation. Armbian provides Docker(Debian/Ubuntu) or Snap (Ubuntu) and several optimisations out of the box ...

... and another reason. Official OMV images are Armbian based since years: https://twitter.com/armbian/status/902415803529789440

Hi Igor. Were you referring to using containers (docker) in OMV or in Ubuntu? Previously I ran everything in the OS. I looked in to docker, but for my application it seems like I'm only adding complexity. Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, m00se said:

Hi Igor. Were you referring to using containers (docker) in OMV or in Ubuntu? Previously I ran everything in the OS. I looked in to docker, but for my application it seems like I'm only adding complexity. Am I missing something?

Docker is containerisation, pseudo virtualisation on the system/kernel level. IMO OMV is the complex party in this setup especially when you want to add more (complex) services on the same installation. I am not telling its not possible, but it can make you a headache. Services/App isolation (Docker/Snap) is one way to get by in a cleaner way. Perhaps its not needed, but worth trying and a chance to try different approach.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Docker is containerisation, pseudo virtualisation on the system/kernel level. IMO OMV is the complex party in this setup especially when you want to add more (complex) services on the same installation. I am not telling its not possible, but it can make you a headache. Services/App isolation (Docker/Snap) is one way to get by in a cleaner way. Perhaps its not needed, but worth trying and a chance to try different approach.

I appreciate the suggestion. I will probably go with Armbian Ubuntu - I'm familiar with Ubuntu in general, less headache than OMV, and unless I make a mistake when partitioning I can preserve the data on the harddrive from the other server. I could try docker in Ubuntu...