think_different

M16 TVBOX - Armbian works fine from SD but can't install on eMMC/NAND

Hello,

this is my first post after lot of reading in this forum.

First of all, my goal: use the M16 TVBOX as Think Client to use as RDP client.

M16 TVBOX spec:

Android 7.1

S905X

RAM 2GB

Space 16GB

PCB: M16_V8.0 171109

The problem would be solved, except that for functional reasons, I have to install Armbian on internal memory, replacing Android.

I've tested Armbian_5.77_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.0.2_desktop_20190401.img.xz successfully, boot from SD, no errors, installed Remmina, RDP comes up.

Too good to be true. Too bad I can't install it on the internal memory replacing Android.

My steps:

1. Download the img file
  2. Burn on SD card
  3. Two way: from Android Update&Backup (infinite waiting times) and with toothpick method. Finally I choose the last one, using the correct dtb.
  4. Armbian starts without any errors
  5. After root, 1234, and so on, finally I come to the desktop environment
  6. Terminal, sudo /root/install.sh and....
Error: Could not stat device /dev/mmcblk1 - No such file or directory.

Now, it would seem clear that the M16 does not have an eMMC but a NAND memory, or the installation procedure lacks somewhere.

I attach below the detailed images of the PCB. I attach below the detailed image of the PCB. It seems to be a NAND memory.

IMG-0122.jpg

Where am I doing wrong? I have already purchased 5 devices. I wouldn't want to throw them away

Thanks

think_different

I fear that you won't be able to easily use internal memory. If I remember well some posts of balbes, nand is not supported because of a lack of driver in kernel.

IMO SD card or usb seems the easiest way to boot armbian.

1 hour ago, jeanrhum said:

I fear that you won't be able to easily use internal memory. If I remember well some posts of balbes, nand is not supported because of a lack of driver in kernel.

IMO SD card or usb seems the easiest way to boot armbian.

Thank you so much.

So, I have two option:

1. Start Armbian directly from SD, as you say.
    But there's a problem, sometimes starts Armbian, sometimes Android. There's a way to starts only from SD card? Like a boot priority?

2. Try, with risk, to install Armbian_5.41.1_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_icewm_20180507.img.xz that, if I understood well, has a NAND support, and then upgrade to last release. But it is a decision that I must evaluate with great serenity.:D

A nightmare, just a nightmare.

5 minutes ago, think_different said:

Try, with risk, to install Armbian_5.41.1_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_icewm_20180507.img.xz that, if I understood well, has a NAND support, and then upgrade to last release. But it is a decision that I must evaluate with great serenity.:D

For this option, you must not upgrade to a kernel 4.X otherwise you may not be able to boot.

For the option 1, I don't know. Have you tried to use updatebackup from an usb stick?

2 minutes ago, jeanrhum said:

For this option, you must not upgrade to a kernel 4.X otherwise you may not be able to boot.

For the option 1, I don't know. Have you tried to use updatebackup from an usb stick?

Ok. Thank you so much for your tip.

In fact, the pre-installed Android Linux Kernel is the 3.4.29, but Android is 7.1.2. 

Which is strange for a layman like me, since wikipedia reports that version 7.1.2 should have the 4.4 kernel.

I will do a test, also because this discussion, on the M16, is one of the few found on the net, and the only one on this forum. I am also interested in making a contribution for this device