0
think_different

M16 TVBOX - Armbian works fine from SD but can't install on eMMC/NAND

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

this is my first post after lot of reading in this forum.

 

First of all, my goal: use the M16 TVBOX as Think Client to use as RDP client.

 

M16 TVBOX spec:

Android 7.1

S905X

RAM 2GB

Space 16GB

PCB: M16_V8.0 171109

 

 

The problem would be solved, except that for functional reasons, I have to install Armbian on internal memory, replacing Android.

 

I've tested Armbian_5.77_Aml-s905_Ubuntu_bionic_default_5.0.2_desktop_20190401.img.xz successfully, boot from SD, no errors, installed Remmina, RDP comes up.

 

Too good to be true. Too bad I can't install it on the internal memory replacing Android.

 

My steps:

  1. Download the img file
  2. Burn on SD card
  3. Two way: from Android Update&Backup (infinite waiting times) and with toothpick method. Finally I choose the last one, using the correct dtb.
  4. Armbian starts without any errors
  5. After root, 1234, and so on, finally I come to the desktop environment
  6. Terminal, sudo /root/install.sh and....
Error: Could not stat device /dev/mmcblk1 - No such file or directory.

Now, it would seem clear that the M16 does not have an eMMC but a NAND memory, or the installation procedure lacks somewhere.

 

I attach below the detailed images of the PCB. I attach below the detailed image of the PCB. It seems to be a NAND memory.



IMG-0122.jpg

 

Where am I doing wrong? I have already purchased 5 devices. I wouldn't want to throw them away

 

Thanks

 

think_different

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fear that you won't be able to easily use internal memory. If I remember well some posts of balbes, nand is not supported because of a lack of driver in kernel.

IMO SD card or usb seems the easiest way to boot armbian.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jeanrhum said:

I fear that you won't be able to easily use internal memory. If I remember well some posts of balbes, nand is not supported because of a lack of driver in kernel.

IMO SD card or usb seems the easiest way to boot armbian.

 

Thank you so much.

 

So, I have two option:

  1. Start Armbian directly from SD, as you say.
    But there's a problem, sometimes starts Armbian, sometimes Android. There's a way to starts only from SD card? Like a boot priority?
     
  2. Try, with risk, to install Armbian_5.41.1_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_icewm_20180507.img.xz that, if I understood well, has a NAND support, and then upgrade to last release. But it is a decision that I must evaluate with great serenity.:D

 

A nightmare, just a nightmare.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, think_different said:

Try, with risk, to install Armbian_5.41.1_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_icewm_20180507.img.xz that, if I understood well, has a NAND support, and then upgrade to last release. But it is a decision that I must evaluate with great serenity.:D

For this option, you must not upgrade to a kernel 4.X otherwise you may not be able to boot.

For the option 1, I don't know. Have you tried to use updatebackup from an usb stick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jeanrhum said:

For this option, you must not upgrade to a kernel 4.X otherwise you may not be able to boot.

For the option 1, I don't know. Have you tried to use updatebackup from an usb stick?

Ok. Thank you so much for your tip.

 

In fact, the pre-installed Android Linux Kernel is the 3.4.29, but Android is 7.1.2. 

Which is strange for a layman like me, since wikipedia reports that version 7.1.2 should have the 4.4 kernel.

 

I will do a test, also because this discussion, on the M16, is one of the few found on the net, and the only one on this forum. I am also interested in making a contribution for this device

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
0