Switching Rockchip64-DEV to 5.2.y ...

2 hours ago, Igor said:

I am working on rockchip -> 5.2

I did builds for RockPro64 and RockPi4B. The latest will need fix for DTB filename.

I've also done preliminary trial for OPi-RK3399 and NanoPCT4, this latest also needs tweak of DTB filename.

EDIT : For NanoPCT4, it doesn't boot with new DTB, searching for rootfs and get mmc errors, I'm using old 5.1.y DTB for now and will investigate latter.

EDIT2: Rock64 is fine without any glitch.

I'm running a 5.2 build (self-built using Armbian build system) on a RockPro64. 

I installed and used armbian-config to enable booting from SD with root on NVME.  Other than adding the pcie_rockchip_host and phy_rockchip_pcie modules to the initifamfs-tool/modules file and updating initramfs,  I made no major changes.  Currently I'm  running a disco desktop build just to play with it.

The one thing I find curious (and which I also have seen before on Ayufan's images)  is that it takes more that 30 seconds from getting the kernel starting message until the  login prompt comes up   I get no other messages on the serial interface during that time.   Does anyone know why that is happening?   

Has anyone tried mainline u-boot for this  recently?  It seems that it now includes support for this board--I haven't tried it yet, myself.  

On 7/13/2019 at 4:17 PM, Igor said:

https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/fc1715450015ae62374a13d77f19b0ab53bb1d4c

Tinkerboard RK3288 DEV upped to 5.2.y ... tested for building. Don't have access to hardware.

Any hint how to try it out? I compiled the the dev branch kernel which gave me linux-5.2.y and installed the kernel .debs on a 5.90 tinkerboard armbian image, but it won't boot.

## Loading init Ramdisk from Legacy Image at 21000000 ...
   Image Name:   uInitrd
   Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    6444072 Bytes = 6.1 MiB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
## Flattened Device Tree blob at 01f00000
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x1f00000
   Loading Ramdisk to 0f9da000, end 0ffff428 ... OK
   Loading Device Tree to 0f9cc000, end 0f9d9157 ... OK

Starting kernel ...

Loading, please wait...
Starting version 241
Begin: Loading essential drivers ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ... done.
Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ... Scanning for Btrfs filesystems
done.
Begin: Waiting for root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done.

Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done.
done.
Gave up waiting for root file system device.  Common problems:
 - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
   - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
 - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT!  UUID=a26ac16a-d702-4a37-b486-8fb5073e7627 does not exist.  Dropping to a shell!
Rebooting automatically due to panic= boot argument
 [   47.768428] reboot: Restarting system

Should I have also installed the uboot-dev deb (I chickened out on that one) which was built alongside the dev kernel or what else am I missing?

35 minutes ago, Jin^eLD said:

ALERT! UUID=a26ac16a-d702-4a37-b486-8fb5073e7627 does not exist.

It seems that ROOT partition isn't found !

You should check partitions with "blkid" and adjust "rootdev" variable in /boot/armbianEnv.txt accordingly ...

8 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

It seems that ROOT partition isn't found !

You should check partitions with "blkid" and adjust "rootdev" variable in /boot/armbianEnv.txt accordingly ...

I figured that, but not as to why... of course it was too late for blkid because the system did not boot, although mounting the Tinker Board as mass storage in linux generated a mount point with the exact above UUID (which is also set in armbianEnv.txt). Just installing the -dev kernel .deb packages should not have modified the rootfs ID anyway... right?

I tried listing partitions in uboot using "mmc part", but I could only see the DOS partition which has another id (this is also the case with a working 4.x kernel), so I fear its not as simple as that...

From your answer I understand that it was actually supposed to work and no extra steps needed to be taken?

4 minutes ago, Jin^eLD said:

Just installing the -dev kernel .deb packages should not have modified the rootfs ID anyway... right?

Right ! Installing .deb package doesn't modify armbianEnv.txt

6 minutes ago, Jin^eLD said:

I tried listing partitions in uboot using "mmc part", but I could only see the DOS partition which has another id

Why there is a DOS partition ? Armbian doesn't have DOS partition on normal images ...

7 minutes ago, Jin^eLD said:

From your answer I understand that it was actually supposed to work and no extra steps needed to be taken?

Right !

8 minutes ago, Jin^eLD said:

of course it was too late for blkid because the system did not boot

You can do "blkid" on your Linux PC to see what is on the SDCard, and then fix the /boot/armbianEnv.txt from there ...

23 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Why there is a DOS partition ? Armbian doesn't have DOS partition on normal images ...

If you do mmc part in u-boot it'll tell you there is a DOS partition, I flashed the stock image so I guess its either really there or just recognized that way in u-boot.

23 hours ago, martinayotte said:

You can do "blkid" on your Linux PC to see what is on the SDCard, and then fix the /boot/armbianEnv.txt from there ...

Actually I am booting from eMMC, but indeed it works on the PC as well, anyway, what I was trying to tell was: my drive ID is correct, blkid on PC shows

/dev/sdc1: UUID="a26ac16a-d702-4a37-b486-8fb5073e7627" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="a11b0125-01"

So the problem seems to be somewhere else. I knew that I did not change the rootdev entry and that the UUID was fine, so I was thinking that I was maybe missing something else?