Customization of .deb packages of u-boot & linux-image

and

Hi,

I am adding support of my board to armbian framework and I have several questions:

1. I added my u-boot & kernel but when I build package for kernel, it creates linux-image-4.14.98-sabre_5.94_armhf.deb instead of linux-image-sabre_5.94_armhf.deb so I have to remove version from from file name in compilation.sh or image creation process would fail. Is it possible to define name of .deb package? I guess I just missed something in my kernel config file.

2. u-boot & linux-image packages are installed successful but I have to add default links to kernel & device tree files by hands or update u-boot scripts by hand. Is it possible to add/update some  post-install configuration script to .deb so it would create/update required links during installation of .deb? The same is with u-boot deb. It updates u-bot file in filesystem but do not update it at boot area of my mmc card.

3. Is it possible to add some additional pre-compiled device tree files to linux-image .deb

Edited by and
Added another question

• and changed the title to Customisation of .deb packages of u-boot & linux-image

Few quick tips:

1. you need to make use of existing packaging patch (note: it can/is different for each kernel version). if your board does not have its own family, you need to add that first

2. you don't need to add anything. packaging pack and u-boot variable will do the magic ... 

3. no. if you want some special device tree, add it with a kernel patch. as source.

Don't rush with (wrong) implementation.

Check - Read! the following threads:

Example of adding new board to existing family: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1480/files

• and changed the title to Customization of .deb packages of u-boot & linux-image

It is a board based on iMX7D MCU.

I used patches for cupboard-default as an example for patching scripts/package/builddeb in Kernel folder.

Now I can build u-boot, kernel and images without any issue with unmodified armbian framework. I can share my work if someone would be interested.

List of new files/folders:

config/boards/imx7sabre.conf
    config/bootenv/sabre-default.txt
    config/kernel/linux-sabre-default.config
    config/sources/sabre.conf
    patch/kernel/sabre-default/
    patch/u-boot/u-boot-sabre/

I did not add any special customization for the board, just used u-boot/kernel from official NXP repositories and adapted it for armbian framework.

By the way, aria2c on Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS does not accept --download-result=hide so I had to change it to --download-result=default in lib/general.sh on Ubuntu 16.04

Ubuntu 18.04 has new version of aria2c so armbian framework works fine.

~$ aria2c --version
aria2 version 1.19.0
Copyright (C) 2006, 2015 Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

** Configuration **
Enabled Features: Async DNS, BitTorrent, Firefox3 Cookie, GZip, HTTPS, Message Digest, Metalink, XML-RPC, SFTP
Hash Algorithms: sha-1, sha-224, sha-256, sha-384, sha-512, md5, adler32
Libraries: zlib/1.2.8 libxml2/2.9.3 sqlite3/3.10.2 GnuTLS/3.4.9 nettle GMP/6.1.0 c-ares/1.10.0 libssh2/1.5.0
Compiler: gcc 5.3.1 20160216
  built by   x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
  on         Feb 17 2016 22:40:25
System: Linux 4.15.0-58-generic #64~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 7 14:10:35 UTC 2019 x86_64

Report bugs to https://github.com/tatsuhiro-t/aria2/issues
Visit http://aria2.sourceforge.net/

~$ aria2c --download-result=hide
Exception: [AbstractOptionHandler.cc:69] errorCode=28 We encountered a problem while processing the option '--download-result'.
  -> [OptionHandlerImpl.cc:444] errorCode=1 download-result must be one of the following:'default' 'full' 
Usage:
 --download-result=OPT        This option changes the way "Download Results"
                              is formatted. If OPT is 'default', print GID,
                              status, average download speed and path/URI. If
                              multiple files are involved, path/URI of first
                              requested file is printed and remaining ones are
                              omitted.
                              If OPT is 'full', print GID, status, average
                              download speed, percentage of progress and
                              path/URI. The percentage of progress and
                              path/URI are printed for each requested file in
                              each row.

Possible Values: default, full
                              Default: default
                              Tags: #advanced

3 hours ago, and said:

It is a board based on iMX7D MCU.

This is new kernel family. Not so simple way of adding things - but both examples I pointed you towards are at this level.

3 hours ago, and said:

Now I can build u-boot, kernel and images without any issue with unmodified armbian framework. I can share my work if someone would be interested.

Make a pull request and proceed working on. If/once things gets matured enough, we can merge and in the mean time folks that have such hardware can test.

3 hours ago, and said:

By the way, aria2c on Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS does not accept

Also on 18.04 it makes us grey hair. I already thought to use our own build ... 16.04.x is not supported host for some time so this is actually not relevant.

Keep up!