SinoVOIP Banana Pi 24 core board - any updates

sfx2000

This was a bit of a buzz back in late Dec 2018, and things got kind of quiet after that...

Rumour was that the SoC was the SocioNext SC2A11, which is a Japanese chipset (and from experience, Japanese chip vendors are very particular about who they work with)...

Met it at Apknite company basement. Cortex A53 cores though... Each core is around 1/10th the speed of a Skylake/Zen core, meaning that 24 cores actually doesn't sound as impressive as it may seem.
Has to be really cheap or power-efficient, and work within certain niches to be viable. I've always thought a server would at least need Cortex A72 cores (or equivalent) to be viable.

On 9/11/2019 at 8:08 PM, DeanLewis said:

Has to be really cheap or power-efficient, and work within certain niches to be viable. I've always thought a server would at least need Cortex A72 cores (or equivalent) to be viable.

It's likely power efficient with 24 Cortex-A53 cores, but not cheap...

Haven't heard much since the "leak" - so I'm guessing SinoVOIP was using the SocioNext reference board, and trolling the community.

Phoronix had some intial benchmarks and commentary - https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=arm-24core-developer&num=1