Enhance download speed on old A20 board

vlad59

Hi,

I just had a huge boost on my Internet speed (1Gbs down / 600Mbps up), it's a good thing but it showed that many of my SBC that are running 24/7 are not ready to handle such high bandwidth.

In each case running a curl outputting to /dev/null -> I almost top out the Gigabit interface -> 99Mo/s.

When I test download speed (while saving on disk) :

* Old Banana pi running kernel 4.14.18-sunxi (armbian of course but not updated with stretch) with an Kingston SSD on the SATA port -> cannot go over 12~14Mo/s (Mo/s not Mb/s)

* Orange Pi +2E running 4.19.62-sunxi (armbian with ubuntu Bionic) with a Sandisk SSD on usb2 with a UAS adaptor -> cannot go over 35~37Mo/s.

I have updated another Banana pi with latest Armbian (Bionic / kernel 5.3.X), it includes the patch to fix SATA write speed still with a SSD -> 37Mo/s using wget and 44Mo/s using aria2c (with a single connection)

Each test was done with HTTP download from a VPS I own with 1Gb/s interface and plenty of bandwidth. I'll make other test with NFS later.

So far the lesson I learned -> update Armbian more often ;) !

I'll debug more to see if I can tweak some interrupts / mtu / disk parameter to get a few % more. If you have some idea please share !