w1-ds2438 kernel modul into the pre-built armbian kernel

Hi,

I am running Armbian Bionic on a banana pi pro and want to use it as a 1-wire busmaster for some temperature and humidity sensors, that are connected to the 1-wire-bus via a attiny84a microcontroller, that simulates an DS2438.

I added into /boot/armbianEnv.txt the following code:

overlays=w1-gpio
param_w1_pin=PI3

Now my sensor is recognized, but the system cannot initiate it, because the respective kernel module is not part of the kernel used in Armbian:

dmesg | grep w1:

[    8.708726] w1_master_driver w1_bus_master1: Attaching one wire slave 26.03000084e1bb crc bc
[    8.771631] w1_master_driver w1_bus_master1: Family 26 for 26.03000084e1bb.bc is not registered.

Is it possible that you integrate the w1_ds2438 kernel driver into the pre-build Armbian images?

Thanks,

Tobias

11 minutes ago, scabandari said:

Is it possible that you integrate the w1_ds2438 kernel driver into the pre-build Armbian images?

Sure. Here https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/config/kernel you can find kernel configs. No need to make a PR since its comming with a bigger bulk of config changes https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/AR-182/config/kernel/linux-sunxi-current.config#L3352 You need to wait for next release in a couple of weeks, DIY your kernel and/or help use improve CI which will shrink this process to a matter of hours ... after you add your change.

Igor,

thanks for your quick response! My account was not allowed to send more than one reply in 24h, so I could not give direct feedback (not sure, whether this is still valid, my account is still "Validating", even though I have clicked every confim-link I was able to find...).

On 4/26/2020 at 3:55 PM, Igor said:

DIY your kernel and/or help use improve CI which will shrink this process to a matter of hours ... after you add your change.

I successfully built my own kernel by using the docker-image, but was not able to find the kernel module. I started the building-process with "./compile.sh docker". After selecting my board, I selected the w1_ds2438 kernel driver (once as a module and once as to be implemented) in the kernel config. However I did not find the module in the created .deb-files in the output-folder. Do I have to select a dev-version, when starting the build process?

I am not sure, how I can help with the CI process? Is there a description for this, I did not understand the comments on the linked page... at least, I wanted to publish a short howto for connecting the 1-Wire-sensors with my board using armbian, because currently there is no or only outdated how-tos for this and I think this is getting more and more popular.

Just now, scabandari said:

My account was not allowed to send more than one reply in 24h, so I could not give direct feedback

We want that new people doesn't get too excited by asking too many (same) questions at once since we have by far no capacity to deal with them while real and more important problems stays behind. In a week you get normal status and by them I hope you will be acked the speed of this forum and how things runs here.

2 minutes ago, scabandari said:

I successfully built my own kernel by using the docker-image, but was not able to find the kernel module

I guess you didn't read my post precise enough. I wrote "its comming", which means "its not there" yet. Changes were merged once yesterday and they probably weren't inside when you build your kernel https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1856 

Repeat the process once again.

5 minutes ago, scabandari said:

I am not sure, how I can help with the CI process?

We need someone to code, review the code, perhaps write another test case, talk with new users, ... Or anything from

htps://armbian.atlassian.net/projects/AR/issues/?filter=allissues& 

https://github.com/armbian/build/issues