Switch kernel from legacy (rk3399) to current (rockchip64) on NanoPi M4 V2

Matthias

Hallo,

I've been using Armbian on the NanoPi M4 V2 for a while and now I'm thinking about switchen from the legacy kernel to the current kernel. Unfortunately that's not so easy to do when using armbian-config. You could think you can just select the current-kernel in the list but you won't find it there. The reason is simple: the legacy kernel belongs to the rk3399-family and the current kernel is rockchip64. Which is basically the same, but from an organisational point of view it is not (please forgive me if I do not show an adequate technical precision here, the details and the plan to clean that up are explained here).

What I would be interested in is now: Is there a proper way to switch the kernel manually? As I said, I have been using the system for a while now, so setting it up from scratch with the right kernel is something I would like to avoid.

I had a look into the source of armbian-config so I know that manipulating the LINUXFAMILY in /etc/armbian-release will display the current-kernel in the list. But I don't want to imagine what kind of side-effects will hit me when starting the installation process that way.

Cheers,

Matthias

Unfortunately I've had issues with all kernels on the NanoPi M4v2., and thanks to your post I've successfully switched between legacy, current & dev kernels after updating `LINUXFAMILY` in `/etc/armbian-release`.

One thing I'd warn about is that when you switch to the rockchip64 family the legacy kernels there failed to boot for me and I had to recover my `/boot` volume via a fresh SD card boot using a legacy image.  After manual recovery I was able to use my old eMMC installation, and eventually when I was ready I switched back to the rockchip64 family where I've found the _current_ (5.4.49) and dev (5.6.17 and 5.7.6) kernels all successfully boot.