Does Armbian support USB webcam?

stateoftrance

Good day, 

I hope i'am posting into the correct subforum, anyway i just wanted to know if the armbian OS can support a USB Webcam, because I'm writing a research about the feasibility of this OS + plus board to be an alternative to laptops to cater basic educational operations like, video conferencing(google meet) , word processing , spreadsheet and presentation workload.

Apologies to my written english as it's not my native language.

Thanks!

Mike

• Werner changed the title to Does Armbian support USB webcam?

Armbian & Khadas are rewarding contributors

The question that needs to be ask is "does my webcam run on Linux OOB?". If that question an be answered with yes, then it is most likely that it will run on Armbian as well.

I have adjusted the topic title to be more precise.

Yes they do. But for good experience/framerate you need good VPU drivers to stream.
You can also use brute cpu horsepower of Odroid N2+. But I did not test experience there. I expect 720p should be ok at least.
Raspberry Pi4 might be a good choice. I don't like the board, but a lot of software is available for these things.
Do research for SBCs with good VPU support. Maybe the Jetson Nano, but then with their software.
Greetings.

On 10/13/2020 at 3:20 PM, Werner said:

The question that needs to be ask is "does my webcam run on Linux OOB?". If that question an be answered with yes, then it is most likely that it will run on Armbian as well.

I have adjusted the topic title to be more precise.

On 10/13/2020 at 3:22 PM, NicoD said:

Yes they do. But for good experience/framerate you need good VPU drivers to stream.
You can also use brute cpu horsepower of Odroid N2+. But I did not test experience there. I expect 720p should be ok at least.
Raspberry Pi4 might be a good choice. I don't like the board, but a lot of software is available for these things.
Do research for SBCs with good VPU support. Maybe the Jetson Nano, but then with their software.
Greetings.

Thanks for the feedback,  because the study will procure several single board computers, which can be an alternative to laptops, and the study will compare each one of the boards for academe use