Bridging OpenVPN Tap0 adapter with Eth0

mflorezm

Hi guys, I'm trying to share internet access from wireless Wlan0 to Ethernet Eth0 port to connect a SIP phone to the PBX asterisk server; nevertheless as the Asterisk server has source IP filtering, i have to establish a VPN tunnel with and openVPN server that has static public IP who already had a granted IP to access the Asterisk server.

I'm using  Armbian (buster) with Linux 5.9.14-sunxi on a OPI Zero plus H2, nevertheless, i guess this is not a hardware problem.

I have no issues to install and connect openVPN what creates a new tap adapter tap0 with the assigned IP from server, once connected the Zero Plus starts accessing internet thru the tap adapter (checked while finding the public IP).

Now, trying to create the bridge:

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 tap0

ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 promisc up

ifconfig br0 192.168.8.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.8.255

The bridge is successfully created (no errors), but there is not access on the eth0 interface (br0), but now there is no connectivity with the outsite world on the zero plus itself (no more ping to any external IP).

I have to delete the bridge br0, to restore internet on the zero plus board, so, never find the way to share internet on Ethernet interface. I tried with TAP to use layer 2 instead of 3.

Just to test tried to bridge wlan0 with eth0, with no success either.

I did used the firewall rules:

iptables -A FORWARD --in-interface tap0 --out-interface eth0 -j ACCEPT

iptables -A FORWARD --in-interface eth0 --out-interface tap0 -j ACCEPT

sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING --out-interface br0 -j MASQUERADE

The IPV4 forwarding is active.

Any help will the welcome. Thanks,

Mauricio F.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.