BPI new images

RagnerBG

Hello. Browsing through my email i note something from long forgotten, useless http://forum.banana-pi.org. It's about some new images they "release" like:

BPI-R1 new image:raspbian-jessie-bpi-m1-m1p-r1.img 2016-07-13

BPI-R1 new image:ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi-bpi-m1-m1p-r1-sd-emmc 2016-07-21

or

BPI-R1 new image: Kanux-Beta-3.3.0-preview-bpi-m1-m1p-r1.img 2016-07-15

There is a note - "kernel 3.4.112 (based on armbian's build)", so hem, congratulations i guess. Looks like you guys are official support for team bpi now :).

BPI-R1 new image: Kanux-Beta-3.3.0-preview-bpi-m1-m1p-r1.img 2016-07-15

There is a note - "kernel 3.4.112 (based on armbian's build)", so hem, congratulations i guess. Looks like you guys are official support for team bpi now :).

Nope, Igor said they somehow donated symbolically but that's it. I've told them very often and over a long period of time that they should try to increase quality of their OS images and that they should refrain from using Armbian rootfs to combine it with their horribly outdated u-boot/kernel stuff since it's dumb, the wrong 'development' approach and it damages Armbian's reputation since people using any of these pseudo-Armbian OS images made by SinoVoip believe Armbian is crap afterwards.

I told them to use our build system instead (that's what OpenSource is about: Take other's work and improve it), that means: Checking out the build system from Github and adopting it to their needs to benefit from the many Armbian advantages. What do they do obviously? Use our build system to create a kernel, then pull the kernel out of the deb archives and manually produce crap OS images the old way.

Just look at http://forum.banana-pi.org/c/BPI-M64

All the OS images are plain stupid (relying on ARMv7 or even ARMv6 rootfs they took from 3rd parties which has serious performance implications), both u-boot and kernel are already outdated and since these 'developers' chose to store the kernel image at a moronic location the kernel can not be updated the usual way. So they simply fail again and again now also damaging our reputation since they reference 'armbian' with nearly every OS image release (and people believe this bullshit, here some guys are talking about 'Armbian Lite being responsible for overheating a BPi M2+' -- 'Armbian Lite' is nothing we ever released but 'Team BPi' called a few crappy and self-destroying OS images of them like that)

Regarding devices from 'Team BPi' and OS images for these devices it's pretty easy: Armbian supports all of their available boards except of BPi M3 (which got a clear "don't buy recommendation" since hardware design is crap) so why wasting time and nerves with crappy OS images when you can choose Armbian instead?