Boot problem Banana Pi M2+

gprand

Hi!

I'm new to Armbian and M2+ and I have this problem:

The boot process is stopped, if there is an USB-device like keyboard or mouse adapter connected at power-up. After pressing reset button, boot is performed normally.

Without USB devices no problem.

There is the last image running:

Linux bananapim2plus 3.4.112-sun8i #14 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jul 5 16:28:14 CEST 2016 armv7l

U-Boot 2016.05-armbian (Jul 05 2016 - 16:26:30 +0200) Allwinner Technology
arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 5.3.1-14ubuntu2) 5.3.1 20160413
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.26

Booting stops here:

[    2.241754] sunxi_spi_chan_cfg()1376 - [spi-0] has no spi_regulator.
[    2.257971] sunxi_spi_chan_cfg()1376 - [spi-1] has no spi_regulator.
[    2.274804] spi spi0: master is unqueued, this is deprecated
[    2.290624] tun: Universal TUN/TAP device driver, 1.6
[    2.305285] tun: © 1999-2004 Max Krasnyansky <maxk@qualcomm.com>
[    2.322826] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
[    2.337013] PPP BSD Compression module registered
[    2.351501] PPP Deflate Compression module registered
[    2.369625] PPP MPPE Compression module registered
[    2.384387] NET: Registered protocol family 24
[    2.398857] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver

Trying 'usb start' in U-boot gives this result:

usb start
starting USB...
No controllers found

Please help!

[    2.398857] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver

May I ask how you power your board (Micro USB or barrel plug)? Everytime I got this message with this H3 board insufficient power was the culprit (enabling USB leads to a power peak at this moment --> voltage drops --> board freezes)

Could you say us if you managed to power it by micro-usb or barrel plug ?

In my case it was the barrel jack that showed problems (using Micro USB now without problems due to controlled environment and ultra short cable). I used it always together with one of the 3A/5V PSUs Xunlong sells with OPi Plus 2E that showed never problems when used with any of the Oranges lying around. But with the Oranges it requires a certain amount of pressure to get the barrel plug into the jack (very tight fit) whereas on BPi M2+ the plug seems a bit loose when inserted into the jack. Since I have a PCB rev 1.0 board I didn't take care that much (camera isn't working with this PCB rev too and maybe they soldered also the wrong barrel jack on the board)

I asked because I never could power the card threw the jack entry, even by soldering 0.75 mm2 wires. But it could be the other end USB-A contacts, bad soldering, my card or the PSU ... or a design problem in the PCB ?

If I had been prepared to face such stupid problem (by reading more carefully this forum) before I ordered the card, I would have also ordered an (other) industrial PSU with screw bornier and adjustable voltage (like MeanWell SNT RS 15 5). I power 3 cards, relays, HDD and other things flawlessly with one of those (and cannot use it for tests !).

Since I have a PCB rev 1.0  board I didn't take care that much (camera isn't working with this PCB rev too and maybe they soldered also the wrong barrel jack on the board)

I had no problems with the use of the power-barrel and I never removed the jack since then (PSU 5V / 2A was a 3rd party iPhone4 charger before).

So the FPC connector does not work on this PCB, or just with a certain camera model?

I asked because I never could power the card threw the jack entry, even by soldering 0.75 mm2 wires. But it could be the other end USB-A contacts, bad soldering, my card or the PSU ... or a design problem in the PCB ?

No idea. As already said: SinoVoip sent me a PCB 1.0 rev and now all boards are at least PCB rev 1.1, these 'engineers' are famous for providing wrong hardware descriptions (fex files, device tree stuff, even released schematics are wrong an won't be corrected after telling them their mistakes), camera modules don't work here, I did not even manage to get a 1-Wire sensor to work (double checked with an Orange Pi PC lying next to BPi M2+, exchanging SD card, using exact same jumper wires to breadboard -- simply doesn't work). I already wasted soooooooo much time with this board that I simply accept that it's not worth the efforts.

I had no problems with the use of the power-barrel and I never removed the jack since then (PSU 5V / 2A was a 3rd party iPhone4 charger before).

So the FPC connector does not work on this PCB, or just with a certain camera model?

As already said: I have a PCB rev 1.0, I can compare with a couple of Orange Pi, no problem there, big problem with M2+ -- I'm done with this thingie. Regarding camera: Check the respective thread. On BPI M2+ PCB Rev 1.0 hand soldered stuff can be found next to the FPC connector. No idea whether this can be expected as a manual fix or not. You know yourself how much 'documentation/information' provided by this specific vendor sucks. Dealing with recent 'Team BPi' devices is just an insane waste of time.

Regarding camera: Check the respective thread. On BPI M2+ PCB Rev 1.0 hand soldered stuff can be found next to the FPC connector.

No idea whether this can be expected as a manual fix or not.

Ahh, now I remember.

With my glasses plus magnifier I could hardly recognize those resistors or whatever it is.

Well, we got it for free. I remember that the girl said: we may be have one last test board.

I said, I can wait for the next batch, but she sent it anyway :blink:

- shit happens -